Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Superworms?

Jzehr125

Reaction score
I was in my local petstore today. and noticed a sign saying that listed the live foods they offer. On the list was something called a "superworm." I didn't think to ask what type of worm they are or what size they were while I was there, but I was wondering if they are suitable for axolotls, and would be small enough for a 2-inch axolotl to eat (I'm too squeamish to cut up worms). Unfortunately, this was the only type of live worm they had (other than the unacceptable mealworm).

Also, if they are suitable, about how many should I feed the axolotl at a time, and how long do they live in the fridge?

carsona246

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure super worms are just mealworms, but it's been a while since I had anything that ate those so I might be wrong. mealworms aren't supposed to be the best food, and best left as a treat as long as you cut up the head

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Superworms are typically LARGE mealworms. They can be used occasionally as part of healthy diet. Some people say to crush the head before feeding as they have powerful jaws that can injure the Axolotl, and other says this isn't necessary. Just do not use them frequently if you decide to.

Dog Shrink

Reaction score
Actually superworms (zophobas morio) are different from mealworms (Tenebrio molitor). Different species, different nutritional ratios (superworm protein level of 17.4% compared to 20.27% for mealworms .05% calcium for supers versus .04% for mealies, 17.9% fat for supers versus 12.72% for mealies, 6.8% fiber for supers versus 1.73% for mealies), different shell (exoskeleton, not as thick/much on supers as mealies), different environmental needs (you can refrigerate mealworms to put them into stasis and prevent pupating and last longer but if superworms go below 65 they die. You CAN NOT refrigerate superworms,but they will NOT pupate as long as you keep them fed, I have had some from my original colony from october with out problems. superworms will not pupate until you seperate them into their own cell like in a tackle box and stop feeding them) just all around different. However they DO have strong jaw, and a pointy defensive "spike" type thing on the back of their tails that they use similar to a scorpion when grabbed. I feed them to my leopard gecko, thankfully he always grabs head first and avoids injury, plus I give their heads a little pinch with tweezers before feeding to stun them a bit to help avoid injury.

Superworm:
Superworm.JPG

Mealworm:
mealworm.gif

Last edited:

andyng00

Reaction score
Actually superworms (zophobas morio) are different from mealworms (Tenebrio molitor). Different species, different nutritional ratios (superworm protein level of 17.4% compared to 20.27% for mealworms .05% calcium for supers versus .04% for mealies, 17.9% fat for supers versus 12.72% for mealies, 6.8% fiber for supers versus 1.73% for mealies), different shell (exoskeleton, not as thick/much on supers as mealies), different environmental needs (you can refrigerate mealworms to put them into stasis and prevent pupating and last longer but if superworms go below 65 they die. You CAN NOT refrigerate superworms,but they will NOT pupate as long as you keep them fed, I have had some from my original colony from october with out problems. superworms will not pupate until you seperate them into their own cell like in a tackle box and stop feeding them) just all around different. However they DO have strong jaw, and a pointy defensive "spike" type thing on the back of their tails that they use similar to a scorpion when grabbed. I feed them to my leopard gecko, thankfully he always grabs head first and avoids injury, plus I give their heads a little pinch with tweezers before feeding to stun them a bit to help avoid injury.
Ive fed my Axie Mealworms but just started feeding the newly arrived Axie (8.5inches)Superworms, so are you saying that the Mealworm is basically better for the Axie ??? the Superworm are apparently large but is the stature of the Super mostly fat ??? and lastly I know that the mealworms chitin is hard enough to not be broken down but is the superworms chitin thinner ??? can it be broken down ???

Dog Shrink

Reaction score
I always believe the best option is feeding appropriately sized food for that animal. supers have thinner shells that are more digestable than mealies, but there will always be undigestible parts with any feeder. The fat/protein ratio versus mealies is comparable with the supers being a little higher in fats which isn't bad.they need both fats and proteins to feed different muscle groups. Fats do offer their own type of protein, its just not the same as whole meat proteins, therefore used by different muscle groups than proteins derived from a whole meat source. If supers are appropriately sized for the axie eating them then use them for that axie. Use the nutritional breakdown provided, do the math and you'll figure it out :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1