Daphnia culture - HOW?

caseeybrown

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Casey :)
Ive looked on the internet and read through the forums on here but theres nothing specific on the actual way to do it?

Ive got some axolotl eggs due to hatch soon and id rather culture daphnia than brine shrimp as they can stay with the babies till they are all eaten.

So how's it done guys? Eggs + water or what else?

help pleaaseee:confused:

to start with, here is a thorough article on the "how".

Daphnia

You can get starter cultures online or from members here on the forum (check the for sale section).

I can't seriously believe that you searched the internet and didn't find any instructions for growing them. Try googling "culture daphnia". The top hits are all sets of instructions for growing them.

I can't seriously believe that you searched the internet and didn't find any instructions for growing them. Try googling "culture daphnia". The top hits are all sets of instructions for growing them.

I seriously did! The stuff on the internet and youtube is full of words i dont understand as i havent cultured them before.

All i wanna know is the basics, e.g theres a video on youtube telling you each step on hatching etc, but nothing like that for daphnia

Ill check the page link some of youve left, thanks guys

i personally have supplied daphnia to a few members here on the forum

if your in need i can set you up with both the daphnia and the chapter from my Ebook regarding the culturing of them

I bet that this topic http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...rine-shrimp-etc/73666-daphnia-farm-enjoy.html is one of the best ways I have ever seen to culture dafnia.
Anyway there are some other ways that could be much simple but not as effective as that one. Placing a starter in a tub outdoors in a place which catches much sunlight probably will lead to a decent culture. Remember that daphnias like to eat too so you should look for the best way to provide them foods such algae. I know some persons that uses the same water from the water changes in their aquariums to feed the daphnia with organic material. But making somethings to boost up algae grown is probably the best way, I think.

You can buy a starter culture, the whole kit and kaboodle, for a daphnia culture on eBay! I bought one and it's worked lovely, even with no filtration, these lil crustaceans breed and survive in ponds so I guess they don't really mind too much about water quality and filtration units? :wink:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back