Question: Cleaning and tank setup!

WallyWat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers, I really appreciate it! I was wondering how I should clean my pvc pipes and any hides that I put into my tank? I was just washing them out well with water, but should I be doing anything else? Sorry, I searched on caudata to find an answer but couldn't seem to find anything. Also, what material do you guys suggest for putting a divider up in my tank? Thanks so much!!

Opps, I'm sorry, forgot to add also that was wondering how feeding jars were utilized. Are they in the tank all the time or do you remove them when your lotls are done feeding? And do you boil them to wash when you first get them? Thanks again!

A divider should be mesh, for water circulation. If you know someone who's into crafts, there's plastic gridding that people use for sewing that might work well.

As for PVC pipes, I scrubbed mine well in hot water, let them soak for a day, and popped them in. I'm not sure if soaking is necessary, but it gave me peace of mind.

Thanks so much for your help! Did you have any suggestions for the feeding jar? Should it be kept in the tank at all times or removed for every feeding? Thanks!!

if it's made out of glass I don't see why it couldn't be left in the tank. But from what I've read the point of a feeding glass is to have all the food stay in one place, and be able to take out all the uneated food(food left in the jar) after the animal has eaten.

I leave my feeding jars in there all the time. I have 1 axie that likes to sit on hers and look around. Abby likes top hide behind his.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back