Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is my axie carrying eggs?

st92

Reaction score
I got my axolotls about a week ago, and the previous owner thought she was carrying eggs, is there any way to tell or will she just get fat?

Attachments

• West%20Lothian-20110215-00124.jpg
    West%20Lothian-20110215-00124.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,884
  • West%20Lothian-20110214-00114.jpg
    West%20Lothian-20110214-00114.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,584

dragongirl413

Reaction score
If she has not yet laid eggs and is not currently kept with a male, there's a very slim chance she's pregnant. Laying occurs within 2 days of fertilization. Gravid females do tend to get pretty round in the abdomen before laying eggs.

AuraCantos

Reaction score
First things first, you should be less worried about the egg-laying, and more concerned with getting that fancy goldfish out of the tank ASAP. :) Goldfish do NOT make good tankmates. They will pick at the axolotl's gills, compete for food, and are terrible when it comes to keeping the water clean. Goldfish are notorious for producing tons of ammonia, which can harm your axie. Either get a new tank for the goldfish, or get a new tank for the axie. Unless you want something terrible to happen, move one or the other.

As for the eggs, you never really "know" when an axie is bearing eggs until you have them, lol. :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In addition to what Jackie said, which is a strong concern!!, that axolotl looks like it's a male.

maxelliotjones

Reaction score
:happy:please take out the goldfish!! They will hurt your axolotl and you axolotl may harm your goldfishh. But i have to say your axolotl is very cutee

st92

Reaction score
Heyy thanks for your replies everyone, the goldfish were in the tank for about a day, one got eaten and the others were put into my other tank, the guy at the fish shop advised me to get them.. And he was clearly wrong! Lol but goldfish aside, she seems to get a little bigger each day, and has started eating a lot more than he does. I hope she does lay eggs :D

Reaction score
I believe all females will be carrying eggs once mature at adulthood. She is probably getting fat due to eating a goldfish and lots of food. She will not drop any eggs for you at this point unless you also have a mature male. They drop the eggs within hours to days of mating. And even if you have a male and a female, they may or may not breed.

st92

Reaction score
Yeah she's with a male and they've been homed together since birth. They are both roughly the same size, apart from the male is rather bloated after munching the goldfish. I have mountain minnows in another tank, they were kept with them in the previous tank, does anyone know if they'll be ok? The previous owner said they didn't bother eachother.. Any ideas?

AuraCantos

Reaction score
Keeping White Cloud Mountain Minnows in with axolotls is a 50/50 risk. Most White Clouds won't bother axolotls, but I do believe I've read threads about the Minnows picking at gills, or generally being annoying to the lotls. Personally, I've kept White Clouds in with my own 7-8inch lotls just fine, no aggression, just the occasional missing Minnow. So, I would say give it a shot but don't be surprised if more than a few turn up missing.

The fact that your axolotl has eaten such a large, wide goldfish does have me concerned, though.

st92

Reaction score
Thanks :) I've got 30 of them, but I think they may be a little too small at the moment, and I'm not quite sure how the killing went down, but they were both picking at the dead body then the male finished it off, its been 2 days since and he seems to be ok. He's swimming about fine but I'll keep an eye on him :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1