Question: Questions on Transporting Axolotls

Erzs

Reaction score
Country
England
Hey everyone,

I've bought tupperware tubs big enough for them to move around in and water to cover them. Should I puncture holes in the top?

Secondly should I use fresh conditioned water or tank water?

Also it's roughly 30 minutes there and 30 minutes back will they be okay temp wise?

Thanks!

I think they'll be fine without puncture holes. I have a tupperware container for transporting mine that has a little opening at the top you can open and close, and I ended up closing mine so I could stack mine on top of each other. The trip was for 6 hours and they were fine. I would use tank water as long as it's clean just to make sure there isn't any temperature shock. But if you acclimated them to the tupperware, fresh water would probably be fine too. I put mine in a cooler for my 6 hour trip,but I don't think you have anything to worry about in a 30 minute trip as long as there isn't any extreme temperatures.

They're water tight so nothing will get in or out! That'd still be alright without airholes? I worry too much. =P

The tank water is clean but I thought about putting the fresh water in the tuppeware tubs over night and leaving them on my floor so they should rise to 14/16 before I put my axolotls in. My axolotls tank is currently 18 where it usually holds. But if tank waters best I'll do that instead!

leaving fresh water out overnight would probably be a good idea. I used tank water when I transported mine, and everything was fine. My tupperware was air tight as well when I closed the openings. I figured its the same as sticking fish in a bag, and they always seem fine without airholes

Use tank water.

They'll be perfectly fine without air holes. Just take the lids off when you get to where you're going and leave them loosely sitting on top to facilitate oxygen exchange.

Take a jug (I use a plastic milk jug) with enough water (fresh or tank) to do a water change. They invariably poop as soon as you put them in a container.

Thanks Kaysie! Good tip on carrying extra water as well I hadn't thought about that. =]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back