Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Soon to be getting my axolotl

Jacobcameron

Reaction score
Hi there folks im from scotland and should be getting my axolotls in about two weeks, i have done plenty of research but any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would also like to know of any reliable axolotl providers (i have already found somewhere but am open to change my mind. Thanks.

mewsie

Reaction score
Hello from Glasgow!

Whereabouts in Scotland are you? I know a few places that have axies, some better than others ;)

Best tip would be to get your tank set up now, so that the water conditions are ready for your new pal. There is a good article here on how to prepare a tank. Tons of additional advice here on the forum too though, if you need to know more.

Generally www.axolotl.org is a great place to start for advice, and browse the forum for hours, days and weeks! Hehe.

Last edited:

Jacobcameron

Reaction score
Hi there well im from edinburgh but would be willing to travel about a bit, my tank is all set up and is cycling away nicely thanks for the tip though

mewsie

Reaction score
Awesome!

Well, I got mine from Strictly Aquatics in Kirkcaldy, and Neon Gecko in Paisley, neither of which I would say are particularly good judging by the advice I was given, but all three axies are alive and well.

Theres a place in Partick, Glasgow which has some leucistics and wilds in, and he seems to know more than the average LFS when it comes to axies. I was in there the other day and they all look healthy - no limb nippage etc.

Where've you found? Somewhere in Edinburgh?

Jacobcameron

Reaction score
Well its called water wonders and its in gorgie but he says they should be getting them back in two weeks and are selling them for £7.99 do you happen to remember how much they are for sale in partick thanks again

mewsie

Reaction score
£7.99 is pretty cheap, i *think* they were £20 in Partick. I was trying not to look too much, there was this adorable little leucistic who was eyeing us up at the front of the tank, who was in danger of coming home with me, haha!

It's called 'Partick Grain & Pet Stores' looks really ropey from the outside, but the tanks were all well looked after and clean, he was checking the water etc as we were in there, so seems ok!

Jacobcameron

Reaction score
Hey just that sounds great will defo give him a call tomoz btw my tank is about 3ft long by one ft deep by 1ft 10cm high would you recommend to have two in this size of tank.

mewsie

Reaction score
Yeah! 2 should be good in a tank that size :) Good luck - they had a GORGEOUS looking wild in, loads of gold flecks!

Jacobcameron

Reaction score
Do you have more than one color variety if so, i had heard a rumour that wild type are more vicious toward leucistic than other wild type is this true because it would put me off getting one leucistic and one wild type as i wouldnt want them fighting.?

mewsie

Reaction score
Do you have more than one color variety if so, i had heard a rumour that wild type are more vicious toward leucistic than other wild type is this true because it would put me off getting one leucistic and one wild type as i wouldnt want them fighting.?

I have a leucistic and an albino together, and a younger wild, but he's on his own. We tried them together but I think he's just too much smaller as they picked on him a bit.

Perhaps others on the forum have more to say on it, but I've not heard that this is the case, and loads of folks on here have a mixture of types :)

Can't speak for individual personalities though!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1