Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: My Cute Axies :D

vlcuXX

Reaction score
Here is Axie and Axol the apples of my eye :)
IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

These are my cute axies i got them from Big als for 20 dollars each suprisingly but yea here they are :) :D
Btw had them for 2 months now and happily feeding on bloodworms and feeder guppies :)

Last edited:

vlcuXX

Reaction score
:DYes they do Thank u mare xD i got the exact same comment from my mom xD and she doesnt even like herps :p

dragongirl413

Reaction score
I like your axies, but those stones are very dangerous for them :( Axololts have swallowed rocks much larger than those and they can do some deadly damage. I suggest you remove them as soon as humanly possible. Sand (such as washed playground sand) makes an excellant, nice looking alternative and it's axie safe. Bare-bottom or large, flat slate stone is also safe. Everything not meant for eating (or harmless if ingested) in an axie tank MUST be much larger than their head or there is a risk they will swallow it.

Reaction score
They look big enough to try and sex, but none of the pictures are at the right angle to see by their back legs. From their rotund bellies, they might be female(or may just be very flat). Your substrate however looks very sharp - I'd probably get that stuff out sooner rather than later before one of them ingests too much and it does some damage.

virginia

Reaction score
Adorable!!!! :D

Oh I got mine at Vaughn back on boxing day! They were kept in the wrong conditions though. Hopefully that has changed and they would be regularly carrying them. I know a lot of people in Toronto are interested in axolotls but are hard to find. They're amazing pets for anyone willing to devote some time to learn about them.

I'm sure the posts above has already mentioned the substrate. I got my two axolotls back in December of 2010 and they're still pooping black pebbles ... the problem is.... I don't have any black pebbles in my tank!!

I was wondering what you're feeding them. I've been having such a hard time finding live worms. My only option is buying them online!

V

vlcuXX

Reaction score
Yes i know about the rocks but i have asked alot of vets about it and they said the size of my rocks if swallowed can be pooped out so i am aware of that but thanks for telling me and thank u for the good comments about my axies.:D

daremo

Reaction score
even if they poop them, how comfortable do you think it could be with stones in your stomach...

you should remove them... besides they look sharp enough to cause damage..

zoezakella

Reaction score
Yes i know about the rocks but i have asked alot of vets about it and they said the size of my rocks if swallowed can be pooped out so i am aware of that but thanks for telling me and thank u for the good comments about my axies.:D

Ouch, just think would you like to poop those stones:eek: also they might not be able to poop them and then will end up impacted, also your axies might appreciate a few hides :)

Nice looking axies

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score

If you don't remove those rocks it won't be long until you are posting in the "Sick Axolotl?" section of this forum. Heed people's warnings and switch them to sand soon. Based on the 4th picture and the size of that Axie's stomach I wouldn't be surprised if it has already swallowed some stones.

Also it doesn't appear like there are any suitable hides in their tank..maybe they just weren't included in the pictures, but they are a necessity for any Axolotl tank.

Last edited:
Reaction score

They look very sharp, even if they could be pooped out, they could also cause some real damage. Look at how many posts in the "sick axolotl" section are due to ingestion of gravel. If they eat too much, it can cause a blockage. Most vets haven't even heard of axolotls, so I wouldn't take their advice on husbandry over the combined experience of the posters on this board and the many who have lost their axies due to the same error.

mewsie

Reaction score
If you don't remove those rocks it won't be long until you are posting in the "Sick Axolotl?" section of this forum.

Exactly. Don't risk anything happening to your gorgeous axolotls. I too was given the advice that stones were ok, and after shedding tears for other peoples axolotls not make it, or become SERIOUSLY ill as a result of ingesting stones, I can't thank this forum enough for giving me the early advice to get rid of the gravel.

Folks here are coming from a position of extensive experience with the breed, and a genuine love for axolotls. We tell you this cause we want the little guys to live long and well :)

ps: they do have very pretty gills!

vlcuXX

Reaction score
Alright everyone i guess im switching to sand in a couple of days and btw the stomachs are due to how i spoil them with food :D Thanks for the input every1 and as soon as i switch i will put some pics up :D alright guys? and btw where should i get them from?and what sand should i get (exact Brand)

lea

Reaction score
I use childrens play sand. It is alot cheaper and than buying it from a pet shop.

dragongirl413

Reaction score
I actually really like the look of the children's play sand you can get at most hardware stores like Home Depot or the Canadian equivalent. You have to rinse it pretty well with water, but the low price and nice look are worth the time to me. There are many discussions you can look at in the "Tank set-ups, filters, and substrate" section in the axolotl section of the forum. There are a number of options when it comes to sand.

vlcuXX

Reaction score
Guess what? XD i got blue sand :D they really like it thanks guys OMG LOVE YA ima post pics soons aiight :) thanks every1 :D

vlcuXX

Reaction score
Btw guys how often should i feed my axolotls? i got 2 of em that are maybe 6 inches each and i feed 1 bloodworm cube in the morning and 1 in the night to each of em so 4 cubes in 1 day sometimes i get 100 feeder guppies should i feed them cubes that day or until they are finished the fish or no? let me know :D:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1