Illness/Sickness: Second Opinion; Fungus?

Sean1364

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sean
I would like a second opinion, if you don't mind. My Axolotls have developed what appears to be a fungal infection like that which I've treated before. I'm keeping them cold, dark, and in good quality water. Salt baths once a day. Problem is, it doesn't seem to be working. I just wanted to make sure everyone agrees it's fungal. Sorry for the quality.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Thank you!

It looks like fungus to me. I would do salt baths everyday. I would mix 2 teaspoons of salt in 2 lts of water and leave them in there for 15 mins(no more). You could also try and use a cottonbud and gently try and get it off.
Of course keep the tank clean and cool and things should be better in a few days.

It is day 3.5 and despite doing everything I'm supposed to, it appears to be spreading instead of going away. Is there anything else it could possible be? It's white with black specks, all on the gills in different locations.

You could do the saltbaths twice a day morning and night(12 hours) if the once a day isnt working for you. Again dont leave them in for more than 15 mins because it can harm them. Have you put them in the fridge yet, this should slow the fungus from speading more.

Ok, it's just not working like it did last time. I even took the opportunity to buy a tank twice the size and redecorate, and replace the filter contents and everything. But it's been four days and there is no improvement. I didn't want to have to do it, but is Maracyn safe and effective?

Sean i have never used it..I dont even know what it is..im sorry. The only other thing I could suggest is to double the salt to 2 teaspoons of salt to 1 lt of water and fridging and see how that goes. Maybe someone with experience with that medicine will jump in and help.

Could you try and get a closer up picture?I get a virus-esqe message everytime I try to open the second one and the first one I don't see much. Now that its spreading, hopefully the problem will be more obvious so we can help. Have you tried to physically remove(with a q-tip) as much as possible? The black specks make me think it might be something other than fungus...

Ok, it's just not working like it did last time. I even took the opportunity to buy a tank twice the size and redecorate, and replace the filter contents and everything. But it's been four days and there is no improvement. I didn't want to have to do it, but is Maracyn safe and effective?

Sorry it's not responding :( How utterly frustrating for you.

WOO HOO a new tank BUT you should never replace all the "stuff" out of your filter at once as it is on all those sponges and what not that most of the bacteria that keeps your tank cycled and deals with all the ammonia and nitrite live. Take all the stuff out and you lose most of your bacteria as well and odds are you will find yourself back in the middle of a new cycling process and all the drama that goes with it.

According to the axolotl.org Maracyn is safe for axies
Axolotls - Health & Diseases at the bottom of this page ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back