Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Earthworms?

rexx

Reaction score
Im getting my tank ready for another axie and im doing my own little worm farm too. Im just wondering , do you clean them by running them under water then feed them to the axie? or do you leave them to sit in a container for a few days with water in it ?

What is the best way to clean the earthworms before feeding them to an axie , and is it ok to feed them 1 everyday if they like it?

Thank you!

Colinna

Reaction score
I've been thoroughly rinsing them off and then hand feeding them to the Axolotls. I've been feeding them 2-3 small-mid size ones daily each.

morphyrichards

Reaction score
I just give mine a quick rinse. Some people leave the worms in water for 20 minutes or so before feeding, apparently it cleans the worm's insides out as well as just their surface. I suppose a consideration is where you get the worms from. If you know exactly what's inside your worm farm (other than worms that is) then there is less to worry about in terms of what is inside the worms you feed your axolotl.

freya

Reaction score
I also just rinse them off with water and let them in a little cup with some water for a few mins.
Just to be sure all the earth gets off.(my own feeling says its better :p)
My axies wont give any less about it how they get it,just if theyre getting it:p

deliriah

Reaction score
I rinse mine. I'm pretty sure my axie could care less, worms are worms. But I figure less dirt= less clean up.:D

Reaction score
I rinse them if feeding them whole, but the ones I cut in half, I do soak to let them regurgitate or whatever the yellow stuff is, seep out. Apparently the yellow stuff has a very foul taste, so its best to let them get it out before feeding or your axie may not eat it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1