How do you measure Axolotls?

DeCypher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Austin
I'd like to record how long my Axolotls are getting, but how would one accomplish this?
Obviously, you cannot take them out of the water or hold them down.
Any ideas?

The method I use is feed them right in front of the glass, and lie in wait with a ruler... Not the most effective, but it gets by...
I'd really love a better method too, though!

The method I use is feed them right in front of the glass, and lie in wait with a ruler... Not the most effective, but it gets by...
I'd really love a better method too, though!

That's the way I do it too! I always feel a little bit silly, haha!

I do the same or because they hold still some times, I just stick aruler next to them.

yup, me too - I always keep a ruler next to the tank and if I walk by and one of them is up against the glass then I take a quick measurment (sometimes vertically knowing my 2...). I like keeping track of how big they're getting :)

Looks like I have it pretty easy when it comes to measuring mine! They have a habit of sitting and staring at me whilst I'm at the computer or 360 (which is a lot :p) so I just measure them from down the side of the tank!

Hows about just giving the ruler a good clean and put it next to them in the tank? Simples! I just open the lid and my guys swim to the surface to beg for food, they will float there untill they get their worms so I just measure with a ruler from above. Gomez never swam to the top and floated about like the others so the ruler just went in the tank to measure him, prob is he's a lot longer than any ruler I can find now so havnt bothered in a while! The ruler against the glass is a good rough guide tho, water and glass can certainly distort things abit tho my axies were an inch bigger when measured with a ruler next to them instead of through the glass!

I've used Ed's method before. Just be wary of sharp edges; my axies liked to bite at the ruler.

A good way to get an accurate measurement is to take a piece of fishing line and hold it out next to the axolotl under the water and take it out to meausure it. Sometimes axolotls don't want to straighten their body out so the ruler method can require much more patience, either method works though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing it outside the tank when theyre against the glass!
I tried 1 time in the tank but both my axies love to bite my hand or ruler so no use to try that again...(its an organised hit on the feeder XD)

Lol I do pretty much the same. When they line up their bodies in front of the glass and when they're standing perfectly straight I grab a ruler and measure them. And damn they grow fast those little badboys :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back