Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange axie behavior (with video)

iChris

Reaction score
I just snapped this video of my axie acting strangely, and I think it could have something to do with him floating excessively. as you can see he is sitting on the sponge of the internal filter standing on his hind legs with his head at the water's surface when he isn't floating, and here you can see him pushing himself up the glass and gulping for air.

I have a few white cloud minnows in the tank that are doing well so I don't think its a oxygen issue and you can also see I have a air powered sponge filter in there too.

any ideas?

the video:

YouTube - Strange axie behavior?

The link to my other thread about the floating:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f58-sick-axolotl/74353-my-axolotl-floating.html#post271256

virginia

Reaction score
perhaps giving him a place to crawl onto that will allow him to breathe on land will help? :confused:

virginia

Reaction score
Your axie also looks a bit on the skinny side. I believe I read somewhere here on the forum that if they don't eat enough they may float a bit. However I don't know how legit that is. Hopefully someone more experienced will jump in.

Hmm, if you have fish in there it might be nibbling on his gills ...could be why he seems like he's gasping for air?

Hope he feels better soon :(

iChris

Reaction score
the fish in there have not touched his gills at all.

I have been offering food daily sometimes twice daily but he is just not eating as much as he used to.

elessarspatriot

Reaction score
Rishton, near Blackburn, Lancashire, England
Could be that the current of the water is too strong and its getting frustrated and trying to get out of the way to get a better footing or just to 'flee'. I've always been led to believe that axies don't like 'moving water' especially faster currents made by powerful filters for a variety of reasons.

Maybe just try switching the filter off for a while and see if your axie clams down?

Erzs

Reaction score
iChris that is strange behaviour. Is by the filter the only place your axolotl can get a footing on a ledge near to the surface? What is the temp when he buzzes around like this?

With him now not eating and also acting in such a way is there a possibility you can get him to an experienced vet, or at least prepare to do so if it continues for a longer stretch of time?

iChris

Reaction score
He is back in the fridge now, and he is not acting up in there, and before he went in I did manage to get him to eat.

he is acting normal in the fridge, but he is still floating.

I'm starting to think there is something in the tanks water that is upsetting him, even though the water chemistry checks out as did the temprture and I think he could be constipated too as he is floating tail up, but he does seem to be able to swim and sit on the bottom just fine.

Erzs

Reaction score
:confused: <--- my face right now!

Axolotls really do seem to have a way of making us question everything! I think you're right that there may possibly be something in the water then. Have the minnows always lived with him or could they have brought something with them at some point recently?

iChris

Reaction score
could they have brought something with them at some point recently?

the minnows have been with him for almost 2 weeks.

I just tested the water, the ammonia is now sky high, and its been 2 days since I tested it, as if you recall from another thread I started I'm swapping filters so I think I crashed the cycle, even though I have the old one running and I've seeded the new one with some of the sponge media from the old, so I think I found the problem, so essentially my old filter only has half of the filter bed it had with water flowing over it to work with.

my axie, who I finally given a name to (Tails) is still in the fridge because of the heat, and is doing fine - no floating at all but I think I'll take him out but keep him in the container he is currently in, but change the water twice daily as I have been when he's in the fridge, because I want to fatten him up.

I have a cool spare room that he can reside in in the meantime, so I will have to keep the water temp around the 20's or a beer fridge that I can turn the temperature up in, I'll just have to drink the beer but I don't think that will be a problem.

The Banana

Reaction score
My axie Aristotle Axolotl does a very similar thing. Except he kind of thrusts up, keeps past neck above the water and swims vertically, very much like your axie trying to pull up.

I really have no idea either. Thought it might be of some interest of you to know that your axie isn't crazy (or at least not the only one. :p ).

Morrison

Reaction score
That looks really odd, yep. I think it's the ammonia thing that bothers him. Luckily he is in the fridge so that you can get the parameters axie friendly. When I saw him 'climbing' like that I was pretty scared that he could 'jump' out.
Hope your axie is doing well in his tank soon. And hope he fattens up a bit :D
He's cute.

Erzs

Reaction score
I'm so pleased you've found a probable cause! Lets hope that once you get the parameters back in order he'll settle down! =]

iChris

Reaction score
He is out of the fridge now and is slowly warming up, and is currently residing in a large container in the spare room.

I tested the water again, the reading was high, but not as high as it was the other day, I can now focus on trying to get my axie to eat more.

I will keep you all updated.

iChris

Reaction score
thanks for all your concern, but unfortunately my axie passed away today whilst I was at work.

I have honestly no idea what I did wrong. I can only assume he died of impaction from the way he was floating the other day, as he had no external signs of disease, parasites and such and had not passed any waste in almost 2 weeks.

I even went out of my way on my way home from work today and bought him a new tank with a cabinet, that is more than double the size of his old home, complete with a overhead trickle filter.

I now want to focus on getting this new tank cycled and ready for another axie, hopefully in a months time I will try again as I really enjoyed having him.

Colinna

Reaction score
I'm so sorry that you lost your Axie!

I'm sure once you get the new tank set up and cycled that the new Axie will love it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1