Where to get sand for tank

Joy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I want to add sand to my axie tank and I've read that I shouldn't use sand from saltwater beaches which is what is nearest to me. I haven't seen any sand on quick look at the fish stores. Can I buy builders sand by chance at the hardware store and wash it or where do you normally get it? Thanks

Builders sand is normally collected from beeches, and therefore contains a high level of salt (among other things), this would be no good for putting in your freshwater aquarium.
Kids play sand may be a possibility for you, however you will have to rinse it very well and perhaps have to sieve it. I think it can be best to play it safe though, and keep looking in aquatic shops for fine sand that is aquarium safe.

I use this stuff - it is perfect. - https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4776

* Very little cloudiness, settles well (in fact ready to go within an hour)
* Deep black to show off a light axies colour
* Easy to clean, doesnt make the water cloudy when cleaning
* relatively cheap for high quality aquarium sand
* Did not effect water parameters in any way
* Very fine and axie safe
* has a sachet of "water conditioner" in it - i didnt use it, didnt need it i felt, but whatever you like
* I used 2 x 9 kg bags far a 92 x 42 footprint tank

Store was good too , fast delivery and helpful on the phone

Bren

You can use childrens play sand from bunnings as well.
I got 20kg(i think that is how heavy it was) sand from city farmers for $10(great special).
Make sure you wash it and when you think you are finished washing it give it another few rinses.

Yeah I got mine from Bunnings (play sand), $6 for 20kgs, looks really natural in the tank but you do have to wash it really well. Was so surprised the amount of gunk that can out of it :eek:

Fantastic. Thanks all for all your suggestions! I assume axies still will eat a bit of sand as they would with gravel but that it's not unsafe for them to eat sand as opposed to fish gravel?

HI Joy, gravel will impact an axolotl whereas sand tends to get spat out when an axie eats so is therefore safer :D

Looks like a great online shop. thanks for the tip. I like the look of the black sand too for my albino. Cheers

Thanks Zoe. Good to know. I'd spit it out too ;)

I'm curious about the sand too. A friend just told me that she heard Axies can die from taking in too much sand. My question is; would aquarium sand (say bought from the supplier Bren suggested) be alot finer than sand from Bunnings or a similar supplier and therefore safer?? Or are they much of a muchness except Bunnings sand needs more cleaning?

Thanks
Renea :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back