What's going on??? :o

sopl33

Reaction score
Country
England
hi, I have 2 four month old axolotls but 1 of them is not eating as much and there are bubbles on the top of the water, and it keeps swimming to the top just below them and I do not know why this is happening...please help me :confused:

Do you mean the axie is 'gulping for air'?
And how much does he or she eat? And the one that does eat more often?

Can you give us more about their set-up, what you are feeding them and how often, any other signs of stress?

For me, bubbles usually indicate a water quality problem (I don't use a bubbler or anything in my tanks). It usually coincides with ammonia levels being readable in a freshwater parameters testing kit. Do you have a kit? They can really help to diagnose a water quality issue and therefore find if the axie could be stressed by its environment.

i'm feeding them bloodworms once a day and usually they eat at least 7 each but both have ate less although 1 of them is eating less than the other. Would it be a problem if we put the de-chlorenator in and then later took some of the water out? Does this mean there is an inbalance as the amount was measured for the full tank? Also it does seem they might be gulping for air and there are swimming at the top nearly all the time...
thanks for the ideas but please could you help me identify what it is? i'm worried about them :(

I know Kelpie already asked this, but do you have a testing kit for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If not, can you take some water into a local pet store and have them test it? It would really help.

Re: dechlorinator, afaik, it works straight away, so if you put in the correct amount with the correct volume of water, if you removed water later on, you were just taking out dechlorinated water :)

Can you take some pics of the axies and their tank?

I don't have a pH kit for the water but we have just cleaned them out and put them in a smaller tank while we do so, and already there a some bubbles in the tank they are in while we clean them. :confused:
do you want the pics of them in this tank or when they are back in their usual tank?
and it would be really helpful if someone told me wether you put the de-chlorinator in by amount of litres or drops? :confused:

Your bottle of dechlorinator should have directions on it about how much to put in.

Pictures of both? But mainly the tank you are having troubles with. :)

Re: dechlorinator, the directions should be on the bottle, like Kaysie said. Which dechlorinator are you using, and what do the directions say. I know mine i had to do an infuriating mental calculation to get the right amount... If you've put too much in, that might be causing the bubbles, as mentioned in your other thread.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back