Cleaning the tank after losing axies

antiochus

Reaction score
Country
Australia
We've had no success keeping axolotls as we have lost both pairs we've tried. A vet suggested that it could have been protoza that killed the last two.
We're upgrading to a cannister filter and getting a chiller, but my question is about how do we clean the tank and sand so that our new axies don't get sick.
We're planning to let it cycle before we purchase any more.
Thanks

I'm not sure what Protoza are, but if you empty the tank and let everything dry, it usually makes sure everythings dead. If you really wanna be thorough you could probably clean everything with a 10% bleach solution, and make sure to rinse everything out pretty well. Pretty sure that would take care of everything.

Putting the tank and sand outside after you have given it a good clean with the bleach mixture like carson said and letting the sun dry it out(after a good rinse of course).

Also keep in mind that bleach does evaporate. I would use a 10% solution, like Carson suggested. It's actually more effective than straight bleach, and it's less harmful to you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back