Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gunther won't eat!

siona

Reaction score
I'm wondering if these symptoms sound familiar to anyone...
At first it was constipation - he looked uncomfortable and wouldn't eat, so he was in the fridge over the weekend and a large poop appeared so he went back in the tank. After refusing bloodworms last night, he did eat a little peice of frozen feeder fish, but wouldn't eat bloodworms or pellets this morning. He looked interested but it's like he's forgotten how to open his mouth... Maybe he's just bored with the taste of them...
But for the last few days what he does is take an initial snap at the food, and if he gets it in his mouth, immediately spits it out again, or if he misses, he'll give up and just sit there. He was making slight movements in his mouth/chin, like slowly opening his mouth very slightly then closing it again. But after his spell in the fridge he seems a little back to his old self, and he's still a good size.

I'm just glad I got some food down him now :eek:. I'll try different foods tonight.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Hi Siona,

Your right he could be getting bored of his food :)

Have you tried earthworms with him as they are by far the best diet for your axie and they love them?

siona

Reaction score
Hi Zoe, I did start them on earthworms no that long ago after advice on here - I think moving food took them by surprise! They spit them out, then ate them again, and Gunther wasn't interested last time I tried one, but I'll have a dig in the garden tonight and give it a try.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Dont axie love keeping us on our toes!!

Fingers crossed he eats them this time for you :happy:

memojo1979

Reaction score
My axies spit the worms out if they are too long - maybe try chopping them up? I have small kitchen scissors for chopping up various foods(1 pair for axie worms, 1 pair for snake pinkies...) :p

siona

Reaction score
what are waxworms? Would I find them in a bait shop?

He managed a small peice of fish again last night, after refusing a nice small worm I found for him (he played with it for a bit then gave up). He wouldn't take anything this morning :( and neither would the other one! (althought he did have a big worm last night at least). I checked the levels last night and ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all 0, and the temp is around 17 degrees. I'll do a water change tonight and give their bogwood a scrub as it's getting a bit nasty but I don't know what else I can do!

It's like he's interested, following the food around and nosing it, but doesn't seem to want to eat!

zoezakella

Reaction score
You can buy waxworms online from a lot of reptile shops I recently bought some off ebay will pm you the link they normally alway arrive the next day.

memojo1979

Reaction score
I get my earthworms from eBay (after asking a lot of questions to make sure they would be axie friendly - I'm paranoid ;) ) + have been looking for other live foods + found waxworms on eBay too.

siona

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll order some today :D

Is there anything else I can do? Neither of them seem like themselves - they used to bite me when I put my hand in there - now they just sniff it and turn away :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1