Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Why are my 4 month old axolotls getting bubbles at the top of the water in their tank???

sopl33

Reaction score
Hi, I posted another thread about this but i still don't know whats going on???
My axolotls are 4 months old,
they are growing quite rapidly,
not eating as much as usual,
seem healthy other than this,
but they seem to have bubbles on the top of the water in their tank, i've used dechlorinator and have been feeding them right but there are still bubbles. The bubbles are quite small but there seem to be lots of them, please give me some advice. It looks a bit like the axolotls are trying to get air but i don't know why? i'm wondering if they are sick... :cry: :cry:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Bubbles or foam at the top can be an artifact of your dechlorinator. Try a different brand and see if they go away. Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? You need to; it's essential for axolotl health.

Axolotls have rudimentary lungs, in addition to their gills, and can 'gulp' air at the surface. This is normal, unless they're doing it excessively. How often do they visit the surface for air?

mewsie

Reaction score
How long have the bubbles been there? What are they like, are they firm, oily bubbles, or the foamy type that pop easily?

As Kaysie said, could be from the dechlorinator, when I blast the shower head into a bucket with dechlorinator in, it goes very bubbly - and those bubbles disappear after a couple of hours standing.

The only other thing I've experienced was a mistake on my part, i was cleaning the tank, washed my hands and dried them, only to go back into each tank to shuffle ornaments around - only I must have left the tiniest bit of hand wash on my hands... Ended up with foamy water and wiped out my lovely bacteria in the tanks. The axies thought nothing of it, but it was annoying, for such a simple error! Could anything like that have happened?

Last edited:

happycamper

Reaction score
Not sure what kinda bubbles we are talking about, but sometimes if I have a bit of a film on top of the water every time my axolotl comes up for a gulp it makes a bubble. I found a little surface agitation took care of the film and bubbles in my case.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1