Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: What to do with my ill newt?

Gemma613

Reaction score
Hi,
I started a thread a few weeks ago asking for help with my cynops orientalis (chinese firebelly) George.
After following the advice that some of the guys on here very kindly passed onto me, I think George is still poorly. I'm leaving a little bloodworm in there for him every day and changing his water regularly (every 4-5 days) He's leaving all the bloodworm and is unbelievably skinny :( When I took him out to change his water tonight I could see his bones under his skin and he barely wriggled to get away.
So, this has left me wondering, is it time for a vodka bath for George? Should i just say goodbye and RIP, instead of letting the little guy suffer? Oooh it's hard!
Anyone else had this problem? What should I do!?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Have you offered any other type of food? A chunk of wiggly nightcrawler might entice him into eating.

Gemma613

Reaction score
I haven't got anything else, just the frozen bloodworm. I've tried holding it right up to him with tweezers but he isn't biting... I've asked my boyfriend to chop me some earthworms next time he's here, not sure I could bring myself to do it! in fact, I'm sure my step father would be willing :) Thanks! I'll give it a go!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The best way I've found to entice a finicky eater is to do it at night, when it's dusk. Turn on a light in the room next to where you are (like the doorway or something), but don't turn on any lights in the room you're in. Offer food without disturbing the animal too much. This will mimic what their natural hunting time is like.

Could you reiterate what George's set up is like? How deep is the water? Does he have land? Do you filter the water? How long do you leave the bloodworms in the tank? What kind of light does the tank receive? How warm is the tank? Sorry for all the questions, but they'll go a long way to helping find out what the cause of George's reluctance to eat.

Gemma613

Reaction score
I think he's reluctant to eat because he's unwell, he's currently in a plastic tub with a very small amount of water, I know thats not great but I don't have anything else and had to seperate him from the others so they didn't get whatever this disease is that he has.
I think it would be best to go for the vodka bath, he's missing two front legs and finding it difficult to move around anyway and has been ill since i got him :( which was about a month ago. It would probably be best for him... i'll see if the worm is gone in the morning, if so, I'll keep trying if not... Well then I guess it's time

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's a sad reality, but often these animals are imported in such poor condition that they never do recover.

I hope he does eat though. I know what a hard decision it is to euthanize an animal. If you do euthanize him, I don't recommend vodka. There are quicker methods.

Gemma613

Reaction score
Well I just woke up and he hasn't eaten the worm (thought I'd leave it in there and give him the chance to hunt it himself) Think I'm gonna have to do it tonight :( So sad!
I've had a read of Caudatas fact sheet about eutanasia, I was going to go for vodka as I the impression he would kinda drift off... And I didn't really want him... mutilating in the process.
Any other methods not involving... "squishing" him... :sick: I'm happy to hear! Thanks for your help Kaysie

Gemma613

Reaction score
Just an update.
I went ahead with the euthanasia.
I used benzocaine 20% (which I got from work - I work in a dentist so this kind of stuff is really easy to get hold of) it was very quick. Couple of minutes or so.
So sad to see him go but it's for the best :(

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I used benzocaine myself. It seems the quickest method.

I'm sorry it came to that, but it's better than letting him waste away.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1