Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: I wanna see your feeding jars!

When you feed your axolotls.....

• I use a feeding jar.

Votes: 31 15.4%
  • I do not use a feeding jar and never have.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I used a feeding jar and now I don't.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I will use a feeding jar in the future.

Votes: 33 16.4%
  • I hand feed.

Votes: 100 49.8%

• Total voters

mareofnight

Reaction score
For those of you that use them, I would love to see pictures or videos of you axies using their feeding jars! I wanna make a decision whether or not to use one with my axies when I get them!

Last edited:

lea

Reaction score
I use a feeding jar, I use a peanut butter jar. I have one each for my axies. There is a photo of Abby sitting on his jar in my ablum. He is skinny in the photo(he just came home with me and needed to put some weight on).

caseeybrown

Reaction score
I was wondering the exact same thing wether to use them or not!

How would you train them to use a feeding jar anyways guys?

lea

Reaction score
I just put the food into the jar and put the jar in front of the axie and they go in and get the food. I use it because bloodworms are so messy it saves me time in cleaning when they are finished eating. Before they get the bloodworms I hand fed them axie pellets.

The Banana

Reaction score
With Tenedor, I hand-fed from her tank. Although I've only recently got her and she is only in a hospital tank for now.
With Aristotle Axolotl, I move him into a 3L critter keeper to feed & hand-feed him from there.
And with Banana (avatar) I feed him in a fry-saver net, and hand-feed in there.

Cas

Reaction score
I generally hand feed, but if I'm feeding brine shrimp I use a tea light candle holder from Ikea.

Because frozen brine shrimp goes everywhere I used to cover it with another tealight holder with cube captured in the middle. Then I push it to the bottom and when the brine shrimps thawed i take the top off. Now I don't have to do that because she gets so excited I just have to push the cube down with the top tealight and she scoffs it down before it gets to the bottom.

Often this results in her eating too much and she sits on the bottom sneezing out brine shrimp for a couple of seconds.

axigeek

Reaction score
I use a pair of tweezers and drop the axie pellets on the surface and Gem swims up and gulps them down. I use tweezers because she doesn't like human hands and I can more accurately place the pellets on the surface in front of her, which means, more eating and very little mess :D

MereB

Reaction score
I hand feed pellets and worms but blood worm goes everywhere so I place that in an old coffee jar, Moccona if anyone was wondering ;), and they go in and eat what the want and what they don't eat is still in the jar instead of all over the tank and is nice and easy to remove but I only use the jar for blood worm and blackworm.

I can't believe this is the best Picture I have of it but here you go. You can just make out my Male Wild Type, Dillon, on the left eyeballing it.

Attachments

• DSCF7315_2.jpg
    DSCF7315_2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,843

Sweetbird

Reaction score
cant get my axolotl to eat from the feeding jar. he gets scared and backs away. how do i get him to eat from the jar?:confused:

alexx

Reaction score
I use a pair of small tongs (like massive plastic tweezers) to lower earthworms infront of my axies faces.. they wont eat unless food lands on their noses.. inquisitive white cloud minnows got vacuumed in!

mewsie

Reaction score
Well, I tried a feeding jar/glass (all my jars were full of paint!) the other day - ran out of worms, and the worm seller was closed for a few days afterwards, so I had to pick up some bloodworm, but the only stuff I could find was teeny, tiny bloodworm, hardly worth the effort!

But, I thought I would try out a feeding jar and give them the bloodworm anyway, as a snack.

So the jar wasn't entirely unsuccessful, but not for the reasons I expected.

They just kicked out all the bloodworm and slept in it like this for a few hours.

Attachments

• feedingjar1.png
    feedingjar1.png
    447.4 KB · Views: 2,892
  • feedingjar2.png
    feedingjar2.png
    395.3 KB · Views: 1,689

Cas

Reaction score
Awww... and while your annoyed they made a mess and didn't eat, they are probably thanking you for the new toy/...bed? :)

mewsie

Reaction score
Indeed, Cas!

Anything new in the tank is terribly exciting and must be investigated, and if at all possible, eaten. Failing that, it must be slept on/in immediately.

Star

Reaction score
My adult did the same thing when I tried her with a feeding jar! It was only a small jar though so she just sat there with her front feet and head in it, watching me, for about 4 hours haha

lea

Reaction score
Last night there was a loud mum mum quick...come and have a look at your axies
I go running thinking something is wrong and to my surprise there is Abby sitting in his jar waiting for food head up and Cookie has turned her jar so it is standing straight up and she is in it with her front feet on the rim and her nose just over the top entertaining the family with her tricks

Last edited:

caseeybrown

Reaction score
caseeybrown-albums-finlee-3-picture16191-dinner-time.jpg

Dont know if this has worked but heres my feeding jar!
Finlee loves it and just sits in it on a full belly :D

Its amazing how quick they can smell the food he found it the first time i used it!

pestey

Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread as I have also been wondering how I could get my axo's feeding on frozen blocks.

Ive gone down the old large mayo jar route. not sure how they will take to it as my axo's are rather shy at the best of times, so trying to get them to take to it with food in it will be fun......

Dakkagor

Reaction score
hmm, I might try this myself, as I've had trouble with tweezers in the past. I think I even have an nearly empty coffee jar at home to try it with. . . .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1