Possibly sick, and axolotl sleeping habbits

Dreamseru

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hey guys its been a bit since I posted here, I know I promised to upload a pic of luna but now isn't the time, ill just get to it

so at 3am ish I am woken up from my half sleep/half wake (well im fairly sure I wasn't totally asleep) by the sound of the filter gurgling, so I turn the light on, see the filters not going properly, cut its power, and see that luna is right up the top of the water surface and isn't moving, so I drop some food down and she nips it up and suddenly starts swimming madly, in the same way I recognize as stress.

now was something actually wrong with her or was she in fact asleep, and they tend to sleep up the top of the tank? or was she sick somehow and she just wasn't moving until I dropped the food?
also, how could the filter have started to gurgle like it didn't have water in it?

I must say im glad that I sleep in the same room as her

Could have just startled her to be honest! I have on axolotl who likes to float about but if I offer him food and he takes it he won't stick near the surface he'll dart down to the floor! Also if I turn the light on suddenly when it's been dark it sends at least one axolotl into a bit of a panic!

Not sure about the filter. Is it working alright now? Mine makes odd noises from time to time. Keep an eye on it as something might be beginning to break. I've broken two in the space of a month before and both times I think it was the motor thingie majig!

As long as everything is in order with your water quality and so on I wouldn't be too worried. I don't need to tell you to keep an eye on your axolotl as I know us lotl keepers are always watching for oddities! Just update us if the floating continues or she continues to jet about her tank or stop eating etc. Hopefully it's nothing though. =]

im not too worried, I am curious about her sleeping habits, im sure the filter will be fine, or that she can live without it for a few days, ill keep you guys updated, I lold at your avatar btw

I'm always curious as to whether or not one of my axolotls is awake or asleep!

Jonesy was pretty pale today, gills a bit peachy and no pink tail so I wondered if he was slumbering then! I blew on the water a few times and he eventually looked up in that silly "ooowwhhh could you be fooood?" kind of way!

Now he's awake and scuttling around his gills are red and tail pinkish, so I wonder I wonder!

And ha it's great isn't it! I didn't make it I really need to find who did so I can start giving them credit!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back