My axi seems distressed!! HELP

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've just noticed that my new little axi Lotyl is swimming around all sporadic like, jumping up on his log and bumping into the glass. Now he always swims a little funny cause he's got a gimpy front leg but he seems a little frantic.

Any ideas?

have you tested the water?? What are the parameters? Do you wake him? You might have given him a fright.
What does he eats? Is he on gavel? What is the tank temp?. This info can be very helpful when trying to work out what is going on.

hi again, ok just replied to your other post and have just checked your profile out and seen your piccies which has answered a few of my questions.

I see your using gravel which I am afraid is a big no no. Your axie will end up impacted as they suck up there food acting like a big hoover so please try and get rid of this asap and replace with either a bare bottomed tank or with sand (play sand or aquarium) just make sure you rinse it through thoroughly before you add it to the tank.

As Lea has asked we need your water parameters and tank temp if possible?

Nice looking axie by the way :)

Ok thanks for the advice on the gravel. I will deal with that asap. I just tested the tank and the pH is 7.2 while ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all at 0. The temp is sitting on 19 degrees Celsius. I didn't wake him, he'd been up for a few hours. The only thing I an think of is that I put in a fan yesterday, could the water ripples be disturbing him?

Also his tail is looking a little pink, I think he might be grazing it on the artificial logs, should I replace them with something smoother?

Great job on the gravel your axie will thank you :D

Also regarding the logs if they are sharp then yes replace them as axies have very delicate skin. Polyresin logs work well some look exactly like the real thing, dont grow algae on them and are not rough so wont damage your axies skin.

Water parameters are all good.

Axie are well known for bumping into things they are quite funny to watch, I used to wince when mine went up for air, my wild floats gracefully to the bottom, my leucistic dives down but lands fairly well but my golden albino just dive bombs and hits the the floor with his nose with a thud.

Fan should be aimed so it blows across the water so should not disturb your axie too much but depends on how big and powerful your fan is?

Last edited:
I think I will replace the logs, they aren't so much sharp as they are rough. But he likes to scrabble up onto them then jump off.

Good to know about the bumping into things, I was a little concerned. Out of interest how often should he be air gulping?

Oh the fan is only little, I have it aimed over the water surface so it causes some slight rippling but nothing that appears to affect the tank lower down.

I think I will replace the logs, they aren't so much sharp as they are rough. But he likes to scrabble up onto them then jump off.

Good to know about the bumping into things, I was a little concerned. Out of interest how often should he be air gulping?

Oh the fan is only little, I have it aimed over the water surface so it causes some slight rippling but nothing that appears to affect the tank lower down.

Better to be safe thank sorry heh.

Axies are so funny to watch I never fail to laugh at their antics!

Fan sounds fine.

As for air gulping it varies with each axie should not be too often though.

His tail could be pink because he is active. I have a fake log that my hubby was forced to sand back the sharp edges...
As Zoe said they do keep us humans entertained.

Awesome thanks so much for your help. Just about to swap gravel for sand. Should I take him out whilst doing this?

Yes, you have to take him out while changing the substrate...make sure you rinse that sand VERY VERY VERY well.

Great thanks. Oh yes I am rinsing it well.

Ok sand is in as well as new plants. Lotly seems alright with the switch, he's just exploring right now.

Here's what it looks like

boo-penguin-albums-lotyl-picture14916-lotlys-new-pad-well-same-pad-new-decorations-gravel-swapped-ebony-sand-some-pretty-new-plants.jpg

I like the sand and I think the live plants and rocks add a nice element

I think he'll be pleased with it!

I like his name label!

And he seems to be enjoying exploring his hidey places! Nice :)

Haha thanks its only a post-it note.

Yes he was fascinated by the real plants

good for you for sorting it out so quickly, that is one lucky axie to have you as an owner, thanks for taking my advice tank looks great!!

Haha the guy at the pet shop said I was a dedicated axolotl keeper, cause I've been there like 5 times this week; and keep trying to source a chiller for him. Anybody know anything about Coolworks Microchillers? There is one which comes attached to a filter, it looks like the perfect thing for my tank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back