Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

One Axolotl tried to eat the other....PLEASE help!

Margaret

Reaction score
I have two Axolotls, Artie and Agnes. One is much smaller than the other. When I first put them in the tank together, I had a tank separator. After a few months though, they seemed like they would be alright together. They got on famously together for a few months.

Then today, Artie was trying to eat Agnes; she was in his mouth. I had to put my hand in the tank to get him to let go. He ate the pieces around her face, and I am pretty sure one of her front legs is broken. I put her in the fridge after reading some other advice on this forum.

I don't know what else to do. I feel really bad for her. Should I cut off her leg?

She has also gotten very skinny. I think Artie must have been stressing her out and I didn't realize.

Please, please help. I don't know what to do. I attached a picture.

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• agnes.jpg
    agnes.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 2,936

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Oh dear the poor thing! Axolotls are known to eat pretty much anything that they can get their mouth around, its important to have them the same size if you are keeping them together. As for the leg I would advise against cutting it off; as that will likely cause the poor thing more stress. I would isolate her in the fridge for the moment and get a new setup for her, away from the other axi. Her gills should grow back well given time but that leg is a worry.

Reaction score
Poor baby! You need to watch very close for signs of fungus. The fridge is probably a good place to keep her stress level down. If her leg starts to look worse, you need to find a vet to amputate it. I would not try it at home as you'll have no way to anesthesize her nor antibiotics to kill the bacteria that will get in through the wound. While she is in the fridge, she is not going to want to eat much, but offer her small pieces of earthworm and hopefully she will take a little bit to start putting weight back on. Keep her covered so that the light doesn't bother her. You will need to do a 100% water change everyday(keep a jug of dechlorinated water in the fridge with her).

Margaret

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I guess I will keep her in the fridge and keep a close eye on her. I will also try earthworms. Thanks for the tip about changing the water. I didn't know that. I guess I do not know that much about them.

Aren't they supposed to to regenerate? Will the leg grow back if we have to get it cut off?

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
The leg will grow back if cut off, mine is in the process of growing a leg back right now. It may take a while but it will grown back for sure

Margaret

Reaction score
Did you take it to the vet to have the leg cut off? Do you mind telling me how much it cost if you did?

Thanks!

Erzs

Reaction score
Margaret I picked up on you saying you don't know much about them. Firstly, none of us do, they're weird little things! And although it may very well be that your little axolotl stopped eating down to stress of the big one, other factors can come into it.

These can be water parameters, temp, substrate (should be on sand/nothing), water should be dechlorinated/conditioned before being put in the tank, and ofc a healthy diet offered. If this is already all sorted just ignore it!

Keep an eye on the various injuries and also monitor the little ones eating. (How often are they fed?) He/she will have to eat to promote the growth and healing! If only we could tell them that! If only we could also tell them not to bloody well try and eat their neighbours! I hope Agnes is much better soon. =]

Precious

Reaction score
I have two Axolotls, Artie and Agnes. One is much smaller than the other. When I first put them in the tank together, I had a tank separator. After a few months though, they seemed like they would be alright together. They got on famously together for a few months.

Then today, Artie was trying to eat Agnes; she was in his mouth. I had to put my hand in the tank to get him to let go. He ate the pieces around her face, and I am pretty sure one of her front legs is broken. I put her in the fridge after reading some other advice on this forum.

I don't know what else to do. I feel really bad for her. Should I cut off her leg?

She has also gotten very skinny. I think Artie must have been stressing her out and I didn't realize.

Please, please help. I don't know what to do. I attached a picture.

Thanks in advance...

Well, i had two axololts (wild type and albino) till doday. .The wild type axolotl was a little big bigger and he always was trying to eat albino, but he was faster and he always managed to hide. Unfortunately, i found today albino dead and he was without two legs.. :(:(:(
So, be careful keeping them together if one tries to eat another..

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Oh by the time I got him the leg had been bitten off and the skin had healed over, so no the vet didn't cut it off. I have no idea of what that might cost. I highly doubt my local vet treats axi's

Jodi8980

Reaction score
Same thing just happened to mine. The guy I work for has been raising axies for a long time now so I took her over to him to look at her. He gave me methylene blue to put in the water for the fungus and I'm just keeping her in a small bowl with frequent water changes. Within an hour of putting in the blue stuff, the fungus that was growing was gone and she's doing well. Not eating much, but that's to be expected with the pain. If you don't want to fridge her I would try the methylene blue, just a few drops to make the water a light to medium blue color. Hope all goes well:p

Jodi

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!