Newbyyyy

missmoo92

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sup sup, recently purchased an axolotl, it's been a year in the making, (daddy is hard to convince when he has his mind set) i'm 18 and currently own a beautiful black melanoid female named georgina. i've had her just under a week and i'm freaking out like all new mum's do (it's not my fault) if anyone has any necessary info they'd like to share i am very willing to listen as i ant to ensure my girl stays safe and healthy and most importantly happy,:rofl: hope you make me feel welcome :rofl:

Welcome Missmoo! Feel free to ask any questions you may have (and we all have plenty of questions).
Grats on your lovely girl - picture? :D

Hope you feel welcome. :p

haha i indeed do feel very welcome thank you :D i am about to post up a pic of her from the very first day i got her which was thursday :D she's just started settling into her new life and i think in the last 2 days she has become comfortable with her new tank and owner,

i'm still having trouble as to what i should feed her, she was eating feeder fish from my local store (baby guppies) but i've heard that maybe i shouldn't be, and she wont eat beef heart which i've been told she shouldn't be given anyway, or the free food her mummy could catch in the backyard for her, she's picky and has expensive taste so she wont eat the 'free' crickets. i've heard blood worms are good for them so i was thinking bout seeing if i can get my hands on some...though i do not wish too unless i'm certain they're good for her coz food is never cheap for them (especially the guppies)

btw how do i determine how old she is? she's very little she's about 6 and a half inches from head to tail.... i was told she was fairly young

Earthworms are the absolute best you can feed them!
Have a look at THIS article, I found it extremely helpful. :D

As for how old s/he is, I'm not certain sorry. Pretty young I guess.
Sounds like s/he is the same size as my little Aristotle Axolotl. I was told s/he would be roughly 6 months old -

newtoday066.jpg

Hope this helps. ;)

Edit: Just saw the photos of Georgina! She is a darling!!! ♥
I would take the marbles out though, anything smaller than their head can be swallowed - and can be fatal.

Was going to say not to hold her either, but read your caption. :p
When I first got my Golden Albino Banana (avatar), he was floating in the plants - I thought he was dead too!

Last edited:
yeah i was told the stones were fine but i've been really concerned about them, i'm hoping to get some large pebbles or some sand to replace them with but as yet my funds restrict what i can buy. she's hand fed and i'm teaching her to come up for feeding so that she is well away from the rocks andd can't swallow them during feeding. i would die if she swallowed one. the coloured stones will not last long O.O

yeah everyone's been on my back about holding her but i don't coz i know how sensitive they are. they float so easy so it's not that hard to lift them without actually touching them lol i don't think people realise that.

btw banana is absolutly lovely and rather well named :p and your photo helps. she is roughly the same size :)

GAAAAHHHH!!! Lost my comment!!!

To sum it up, I would take the marbles out now, just leave the tank bare-bottomed. Even if you feed well away from them, little axie can still decide to snack on them at any time.

they float so easy so it's not that hard to lift them without actually touching them lol i don't think people realise that.
I REALIZE! Haha.. they are pretty floaty, not that I try or anything. I try not to touch them if I can help it..
Sometimes I just want to SQUISH my axies (have three).. they all just look so marshmallowy. Especially my little Albino Tenedor.. she is so plump - and even marshmallow coloured!!! :p

Thank you, Banana knows he is lovely. Such a poser and a show-off. ;)

yes i know what you mean they look so squishy and cuddly and i just wanna pick her up and give her a snuggle but i don't n_n i shall remove the marbles immediately :) they are still a little bigger than her head but i don't know when that will change so yeah it probably is best to get them out before anything bad happens.

based on the photo (avatar) he certainly knows he's quite lovely :p tenedor that's like spanish for fork or spoon or something isn't it? it's some kind of eating utensil haha lol my mate is teaching me a few things things in spanish, i wish i could have three axies :O georgina was supposed to be jerry but he turned out to be a she (though still not 100% on that. waiting a couple months, but based on head and body shape i've been told it's a girl) lol my best mate is tom and i thought it'd be cute to have both a tom and a jerry :p

Yes, Tenedor is Spanish for fork. One of her gills is forked shaped. There are photos in my album, I took heaps of better ones last night at feeding time (she is always happy then) and will upload them later today. :D

haha tha's cute :p you named your marshmallow fork tehe will totally check out the pics :D

my tank is now barebottomed.

i havnet been able to get her to eat. i've had her since thursday and she has eten twice, they were guppy babies, tiniest fish i've seen in my life O.O i'm fairly certain that threw one of them up if not both of them and the last few days she hasn't even taken an interest in food. should i be worried?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back