Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Live Food

alexx

Reaction score
I have a worm farm but my axis arent too fond of my worms (dendra something, i think theyre earthworms) the probem is the worms dont die, i have left them in a jar of water for a week atleast without drowning, cutting them in half didnt seem to work much either, the head end is immortal! When i feed my axies a whole or half worm the worm goes ballistic and wiggles so much the axies spit it out and leave it alone.

I was thinking of trying to raise scuds or river shrimp in a large jar or tub with some moss from my axi tank, but i dont know where to get a starter culture. Just as something extra to add to the diet.

If anyone knows a seller who will post aquatic starter cultures or have breeding scuds or coldwater shrimp of your own that you could spare, please let me know.

Thanks!

zoezakella

Reaction score
I have a worm farm but my axis arent too fond of my worms (dendra something, i think theyre earthworms) the probem is the worms dont die, i have left them in a jar of water for a week atleast without drowning, cutting them in half didnt seem to work much either, the head end is immortal! When i feed my axies a whole or half worm the worm goes ballistic and wiggles so much the axies spit it out and leave it alone.

I was thinking of trying to raise scuds or river shrimp in a large jar or tub with some moss from my axi tank, but i dont know where to get a starter culture. Just as something extra to add to the diet.

If anyone knows a seller who will post aquatic starter cultures or have breeding scuds or coldwater shrimp of your own that you could spare, please let me know.

Thanks!

HI there,

Ok if your axies are young/little it may be that the worms are too big and you either need to use smaller ones or cut them into mouth size chunks! Earthwroms are by far the best diet for your axies so keep trying them.

As for trying to kill the poor worms by drowning / cutting them (cutting will never work as they repair themselves unless you chop them all up) etc why not just release them into your garden or anywhere near that has mud no need for them to suffer needlessly??

You can also use bloodworms / axie pellets etc in addition to worms for your axies. As for starter cultures / shrimps etc look on ebay there are some on there and most reptile shops sell live foods.

Zoe

alexx

Reaction score
I'm not killing them for pleasure!

I mean I try to put them into the cold water so they slow down and dont scare my axies! Theyre not small, 6-8 inches long atleast. Cutting the worms into chunks to feed to the axies and the halves still give a fight, they won't be eaten easily!

If the axies don't eat the worm/piece and I don't remove it, it will live on in the tank forever..

I don't want the worms to suffer, I would love if they died instantly when you cut the heads off or after a few seconds of being in the cold tankwater. I am worried that if my axies eat them whole the worms will live inside the axies and harm them...

Dog Shrink

Reaction score
If you really feeel the need to kill the earthworms use a bleack/water solution 50/50, but I agree with zoe, why not just release them into the garden? earthworms are great garden friends.

alexx

Reaction score
Or put them back into the worm bin?

I don't want them to suffer needlessly, I just want my axies to be happy and healthy. If theyve been in an axies mouth and spat out again is putting them back in the worm bin wise or shall i put them out of their misery?

memojo1979

Reaction score
I think everyone gets the impression that you don't want the worms, rather than just that you're having trouble getting axies to eat them - I bung any worms hat have been in water, or spat back out, back into the worm tub. 1 of mu axies regularly spits worms back out + seems to have a full tummy after 2 worms (s/he even then tries to run away from them!), whereas the other 2 axies will happily eat 4 usually + of those 2, the wild type will continue to snap at worms + spit them out for quite a long time after, which I have taken to mean that s/he's not really hungry any more ;)
They quite often suck the 1st worm up really quickly, but any after that can be seen waving out of their mouths for a little while too :p

I'm on the hunt for more live foods too, but only to add variety, as I think the frozen bloodworm e.t.c are too small for my guys to pay much attention to. I already use pellets weekly / fortnightly + I think I shall add waxworms to the treats list.

Only shrimp I've found on eBay are tropical (after having cherry shrimp advised)

Try cutting up a worm into smaller pieces (but, I'd only chop up 1 worm at a time, if you're not sure it'll work - you can always get more) + to make it easy, use a good pair of scissors. Some people have mentioned that worms can seem to taste different to their axies when chopped up, so if it looks like the pieces might be bitter, give them a soak before feeding your guy.

alexx

Reaction score
Thank Mojo, you understand my problem better :D

I want the worms, I breed them as axi food. I think they might just be a bit big, if my axies eat them in 1 go its fine, if they wriggle too much and get spit out I think theyre scared of them and swim away. So yeah, ill just throw them back in the worm bin then from now on.

I found these on ebay and have ordered 1 pack of 30ish, hopefully I can breed them: Live River Shrimp (PLEASE READ AD) on eBay (end time 04-Mar-11 00:05:50 GMT)

zoezakella

Reaction score
I have a worm farm but my axis arent too fond of my worms (dendra something, i think theyre earthworms) the probem is the worms dont die, i have left them in a jar of water for a week atleast without drowning, cutting them in half didnt seem to work much either, the head end is immortal!

SORRY but if you read your post it does sound like that is what you are trying to do, you state the worms dont die and that is after keeping them in water to try and drown them and cutting them in half so I am sure you can understand why we have all got the wrong end of the stick.

Have you tried a different type of worm at all??

zoezakella

Reaction score
Or put them back into the worm bin?

I don't want them to suffer needlessly, I just want my axies to be happy and healthy. If theyve been in an axies mouth and spat out again is putting them back in the worm bin wise or shall i put them out of their misery?

Strange my poor worms last 2 seconds in my axie tank :happy:

Umm not sure about that only had regurgitated worm once and it was dead so chucked it ou, when they get spat out do they look ok?? If I ever get any that are not eaten which happens once in a blue moon I fish it out and release it outside and not back into my worm bin ONLY because i figure if the worm escaped my axies it deserves to be released lol!

alexx

Reaction score
Yeah sorry, I didn't make it very clear!

These were the only ''earthworms'' i could get hold of on ebay, so not sure where else to try.
My local fishing tackle shop only has ragworm, theyre scary!

I'll try just feeding chunks instead, and rescuing uneaten worms to go back into the worm bin instead of leaving them living in there until the axies find them.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Yeah sorry, I didn't make it very clear!

These were the only ''earthworms'' i could get hold of on ebay, so not sure where else to try.
My local fishing tackle shop only has ragworm, theyre scary!

I'll try just feeding chunks instead, and rescuing uneaten worms to go back into the worm bin instead of leaving them living in there until the axies find them.

No problem would never want to intentionally upset someone but even though we are all worm murderers :kill: I would hate them to suffer for no reason but thats not the case here so we are back on track :D

Umm thats where i get mine from aswell and my guys eat them. I did used to dig them from my garden but got hard when it got cold PLUS i have made a right mess of my garden and it was gettign hard to find so many worms in one sitting, I do have a suggestion on how to get easy worms next time it rains if you read this thread of mine, give it a go its cheap and you get some great ones lol

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...tter-your-amphibians-but-save-some-money.html

alexx

Reaction score
An old fishing trick of mine, If you stamp your feet on the ground the worms crawl to the surface and come up for easy pickings. I think they believe it to be raining or something from the vibrations! Then you would look strange ;)

memojo1979

Reaction score
I have a worm farm but my axis arent too fond of my worms (dendra something, i think theyre earthworms) the probem is the worms dont die, i have left them in a jar of water for a week atleast without drowning, cutting them in half didnt seem to work much either, the head end is immortal!

SORRY but if you read your post it does sound like that is what you are trying to do, you state the worms dont die and that is after keeping them in water to try and drown them and cutting them in half so I am sure you can understand why we have all got the wrong end of the stick.

Have you tried a different type of worm at all??

Gotta admit - it did take me most of the prior messages to realise ;)

memojo1979

Reaction score
If I ever get any that are not eaten which happens once in a blue moon I fish it out and release it outside and not back into my worm bin ONLY because i figure if the worm escaped my axies it deserves to be released lol!

I used to chuck them in my GAL snail tank, thinking they'd help keep the soil healthy, but since it is only 1 of the small plastic things, they kept escaping out of the ventilation slits in the lid :p

memojo1979

Reaction score
An old fishing trick of mine, If you stamp your feet on the ground the worms crawl to the surface and come up for easy pickings. I think they believe it to be raining or something from the vibrations! Then you would look strange ;)

Isn't there an annual worm charming competition somewhere in the UK?! If I remember rightly, I think that's what it's called :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1