Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gill envy

memojo1979

Reaction score
I think I'm just being paranoid, as I can't see anything that looks like cotton wool, but I'm fairly sure the gills on my axies aren't as feathery as they used to be (although they've never been tremendously impressive)
Just in case though, I wanted to double-check there isn't any fungus, if you guys can tell from my crappy photos, could you let me know please. Ta :D

Attachments

• DSCF2888.jpg
    DSCF2888.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF2890.jpg
    DSCF2890.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 186

Morrison

Reaction score
Honestly... I can't see anything that looks like fungus. The 'white' parts on the gills is probably typical golden axie pigmentation.

Skilly

Reaction score
Looks okay to me! Axolotl gills are quite 'plastic.' They change even on a day to day basis. Sometimes the gills will shrink a bit if the water has lots of oxygen because the axies doesn't have to work hard to breathe then. Blood flow also can make them fill out or shrink, turn pale, or pink depending on what the axie is doing. :smile:

I don't see anything to worry about though

memojo1979

Reaction score
Cool :D
They just started seeming a bit uninterested a couple of weeks ago (not lethargic though). Having the tank lid open during the day seems to be helping with that, though I was a bit spooked when #i saw a thread about axies leaping out of their tanks! Anyone know how high they can go from the water's surface?!

Skilly

Reaction score
Hmmm lol I have no idea how high they could jump! Probably pretty high, they are powerful swimmers. :D Mine have never ever tried jumping out. I think they might only try something like that if they were terribly frightened by something or if the water was horrible condition.

But anything is possible! I hope mine never attempt jumping. :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1