Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie question on axolotls and live food

BioGirl

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this but I really want to set up a tank with an axolotl and I have just been browsing the forums. I think it would be really cool to replicate a natural habitat and I was wondering if that would be possible and healthy for them. Say, have some live plants, add some daphnia and let the culture grow a bit, then add some guppies and the axolotl. the guppies would eat the daphnia and the axolotl could have its pick of both I suppose. I am assuming that I would still need to supplement food with a pellet type occassionally?
Thanks
BioGirl

carsona246

Reaction score
I wouldn't put guppies in the tank immediatly with your axoltol, as your probably going to get a juvenile. Guppies can be put with axolotls, but you need to watch for gill nipping, as it can be a problem. Live plants are always a good edition to a tank. You would still be feeding them earthworms/pellets as the staple diet, as guppies wouldn't make a super healthy staple, but you can keep guppies with your axie, just make sure they're not eating his gills.

Star

Reaction score
I was thinking of guppies myself but I always thought that they were tropical fish, is this not case? Might get myself some if not :)

smily sam

Reaction score
guppies are tropical and coldwater they are also bracish/marine but I woldn't keep guppies with axolotls any way if you intend on buying them to feed to your axies it is illegal in this country, plus guppies nip axie gills:(

smily sam

Reaction score
you could add cherry shrimp to your axie tank without the problem of gill niping, also it isnt illegal to feed them to axies because they are invertibrates, they also would be good in a natural themed tank:happy:;)

Star

Reaction score
can they survive in a coldwater tank as well then? Thought they were tropical too :)

zoezakella

Reaction score
guppies are tropical and coldwater they are also bracish/marine but I woldn't keep guppies with axolotls any way if you intend on buying them to feed to your axies it is illegal in this country, plus guppies nip axie gills:(

a lot of people keep guppies/minnows etc as feeder fish at home and thats fine do be sure if u get any though that they are quarantined for at least 30 days and wait until your axie is big enough :happy:

smily sam

Reaction score
they are tropical but a few people I know keep them with (as far as I know) no problems like ted22. Any way I think think they would be a good addition to a natural themed tank:happy::wacko:

smily sam

Reaction score
a lot of people keep guppies/minnows etc as feeder fish at home and thats fine do be sure if u get any though that they are quarantined for at least 30 days and wait until your axie is big enough :happy:
it is illegal to buy/sell feeder fish in this country. As far as I am aware it is only legal if you breed them yourself

zoezakella

Reaction score
it is illegal to buy/sell feeder fish in this country. As far as I am aware it is only legal if you breed them yourself

You dont buy feeder fish thats not what I said but you would have to buy some guppies to get them to breed and then you use the fry etc for feeder food.

carsona246

Reaction score
it's legal in the u.s to use feeder fish, but you should always quarentine feeder fish if you're not breeding them yourself. While guppies ideally should be in tropical brackish water, it's not necessary for them to breed. I've bred guppies in freshwater with no heater, and they did fine, and bred consistently.

zoezakella

Reaction score
I've been researching Cherry Shrimp too -

Cherry shrimp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Technically counted as tropical, I think, but can live in cooler water ;)

as per Mojo's note they can live in cooler water with no problem but if you want to breed them they do best in warmer waters :happy: Also any cherry shrimp you do add into an axie tank wont last long before they get munched!

I have set up a 10 gallon tank myself to start breeding cherry shrimp for the purpose of putting some in with my axies for food and for any survivers to act as clean up crew and look nice :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1