Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Immature axie after birth advice?

Egglebear

Reaction score
hello guys hope all is well ur end.
basically i think my axolotls are roughly about a year old maybe less, and on febuary 24th this year they gave birth to quite a healthy looking batch of eggs, i have my concerns though.
i have seperated my two axies into their own good sized tanks. (they have taken over my room now lol) although i have left some eggs in the female's tank to reabsorb the nuitreints she seems more intrested in eating her worms so i' m feeding her regulary to keep up her stregnth. i have put the majority of the eggs into its own small tank to raise as i can't bring myself to let them all die. i feel really stupid that i let this happen in the first place:(
i am just wondering now if theres anything i can do to help my female recover as she is so young, i read that the recommended breeding age is at least 18 months. she is eating well but isn't very active and i was just wondering if this is the cause of her gills being a little lack lustre, or could it be anything else?
they don't look really bad but i don't want to let them get worse or dissapear all together.
i look forward to hearing your thoughts
Emilie x

smily sam

Reaction score
hello guys hope all is well ur end.
basically i think my axolotls are roughly about a year old maybe less, and on febuary 24th this year they gave birth to quite a healthy looking batch of eggs, i have my concerns though.
i have seperated my two axies into their own good sized tanks. (they have taken over my room now lol) although i have left some eggs in the female's tank to reabsorb the nuitreints she seems more intrested in eating her worms so i' m feeding her regulary to keep up her stregnth. i have put the majority of the eggs into its own small tank to raise as i can't bring myself to let them all die. i feel really stupid that i let this happen in the first place:(
i am just wondering now if theres anything i can do to help my female recover as she is so young, i read that the recommended breeding age is at least 18 months. she is eating well but isn't very active and i was just wondering if this is the cause of her gills being a little lack lustre, or could it be anything else?
they don't look really bad but i don't want to let them get worse or dissapear all together.
i look forward to hearing your thoughts
Emilie x
It sounds like your doing the right thing seperating her and feeding her alot. I recomend that you don't put her in with the male axolotl to breed to soon I would wait a few months befour you put her back with the male

Egglebear

Reaction score
yeah I'm going to keep them seperated completely now so i have a male tank and a female tank which in time should be occupied by a few when the babies are old enough, seeing as they have nice big tanks each.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1