Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First time sexing...help?

brillB07

Reaction score
this is Trogdor, younger than a year..not quite sure how much younger though..but im leaning towards thinking that s/he is a he...yes? no?

Attachments

• ppo 011.jpg
    ppo 011.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 274
  • ppo 015.jpg
    ppo 015.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 238

carsona246

Reaction score
that's some really interesting coloration for an axolotl, u sure that's not a tiger salamander larvae?

brillB07

Reaction score
well i cant be positive since i got it from a pet store, but they got a bunch from a somewhat local breeder of axies. where i have some friends that own gfp wilds, and i own a gfp albino from the same breeder. ;p
tiger salamanders are black with yellow spots but mine is muddy yellow with black spots..idk much about tiger salamander larvae though haha

ill get a kick if it morphs suddenly one day but s/he acts like the other lil one:rolleyes:

Skilly

Reaction score
It looks like you have a Tiger Salamander! That was my first reaction when I saw him.
He does kind of have an axie face.... but that is definitely a tiger's body.

I wouldn't be too surprised if he morphed! :D

brillB07

Reaction score
when do they morph then!? he lives with another axie! they both are almost the same size but Burnie is alil bit smaller

brillB07

Reaction score
i found out s/he is a Ambystoma andersoni, which were just legalized in Washington state about 6months ago..iv had Trogdor longer than that! :rolleyes:

SanderB

Reaction score
It really looks like an Ambystoma andersoni, do they morph? Or do they stay like this?
He had beautiful markings.

Skilly

Reaction score
Haha... ya know I actually thought about this over the night... it was bugging me. I knew that I knew what this thing was but some thing wasn't coming to me... it's face was not tiger salamder... i knew that.... but that pattern! Then I remembered!!!!!! Duhhh! Its an ANDERSONI! :D

Nice find!!! Andersoni are awesome. They are just like axolotls. They do have a higher morph rate... but as long as you keep them healthy and happy in nice water they won't morph and you don't have to worry!

Glad that is all sorted out now. Hehe :D

mewsie

Reaction score
Perhaps others with more breeding experience can help here - but - what's the score with keeping andersoni with mexicanum? Should they be kept separated, in case you have a male and a female?

Beautiful, by the way, I do adore andersoni.

memojo1979

Reaction score
So, if Mexicanum is otherwise known as an axolotl, what's an Anderson? (Apart from a very similar-looking guy?) Heard it before, but I was just wondering if there was a more common name?
Guess I COULD go check the rest of the caudata stuff... ;)

mewsie

Reaction score
So, if Mexicanum is otherwise known as an axolotl, what's an Anderson? (Apart from a very similar-looking guy?) Heard it before, but I was just wondering if there was a more common name?
Guess I COULD go check the rest of the caudata stuff... ;)

Ambystoma Andersoni (Andersons Salamander) are very like axolotls, but they have evolved separately in a completely different lake (Zapacu, I think) in Mexico. They look similar but have these gorgeous black and brown markings, look em up, they are fab.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Anderson's salamander does get a fair bit bigger than axolotls. And I'd be a bit concerned about cross-breeding.

For what it's worth, there are quite a few axolotl-like salamanders. All evolved in their own isolated lakes. Anderson's just happens to be the next most popular, but they're pretty new to the pet trade.

brillB07

Reaction score
thanks everyone! I was really starting to worry about if the setup I had was appropriate for a tiger salamander larvae or not! also took me about two hours trying to find an identical looking larvae.. then learned a bit more xp

I don't plan on breeding Trogdor..mostly cause I only have one of him and one albino..don't like the unpredictability of colors in offspring haha!

as for the original post..does anyone know the sex?? ;p

Skilly

Reaction score
I don't see much of a swollen cloaca on the andersoni. I might venture to guess that it is a female! However..... it may also just be a matter of time till it all of the sudden fills out and it turns out to be male depending on how old it is.

:D

brillB07

Reaction score
it is about tennish - eleven months old, almost eight inches long. Alil more aggresive than Burnie when it comes to eating too. usually have to feed Trogdor first if Burnie wants to eat in peace. Thats really the only difference i see in the two. when should you be able to tell if its make or female?

i thought i knew it was a male until reading and seeing other post/pics :rolleyes:

Skilly

Reaction score
You should be able to tell now whether it is male or female- at least if it was an axolotl you could def. at one year old. I don't know if Andersoni mature slower? I would think they would be mature in a year. I bet you have yourself a female. :p

Skilly

Reaction score
You could ask someone who owns andersoni, like Shannon (Dragonlady), I bet she would be able to tell you better than I could if it is male or female.

She has both male and female andersoni- at least 4 of them :D She could compare your picture to hers and see.

brillB07

Reaction score
well thats good! i wouldnt really have cared about her sex except i just recently said i would adobt my friend's lil female axie that he says he has..just wouldnt be prepared for eggs yet! :rolleyes:

SanderB

Reaction score
If you don´t thake the eggs away they will be eaten in 1-2 days. So I don´t see the problem.
I have never seen an Ambystoma andersoni, they look nice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1