Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dear Australians...

Loun

Reaction score
Hi there! :happy:

I've been a fan of axolotls for a while... they're such amazing little creatures. For years, I've wanted one as a pet, but I thought they were illegal here - it was only recently that I discovered they weren't!

I live in Tasmania, so you can imagine how small the range of animals for sale here is. Cats, dogs, birds and basic tropical fish. That's it. Does anyone have any idea at all where I can purchase an axolotl and the tools/tank required to keep it alive?

I would even be willing to buy from interstate, if the person could guarantee the little guy wouldn't die on his way here.

Thank you for any help you can give.

lea

Reaction score
Sorry I cant help you with getting you a axie but you should be able to purchase everything else you need from a good pet shop. Someone will jump in and give advise on mailing a axie interstate.

Loun

Reaction score
Thanks. :D

I have an old fish tank, heater and filter set that I was going to use for it's home... just a matter of getting my hands on one!

Cas

Reaction score
Hi Loun,

I think I may have found a speed bump... or rather a dead wall. Where did you find out that they weren't prohibited? On the Tasmanian Fish Management website there is the act of 1995 which states

"Aquarium pets causing the greatest risk in Tasmania are those with cold water temperature tolerances or those carrying disease and parasites. Therefore regulation is by temperature and health status. Prohibited imports include all coldwater fish species and certain species of temperate water fish. Also prohibited are axolotls, turtles and freshwater crayfish. Fines of up to $10,000 can apply to illegal imports."

I assume then you cannot get even goldfish, and why you can only find basic tropical fish. The last edit on the site was in 2006 so perhaps you have found something newer than that? If so and it is no longer prohibited to import them, you might have to talk directly to the Fish Management and they should be able to help you find an importer or allow you to. Pet shops may be slow to learn they are no longer prohibited which is why you cant find them :)

Loun

Reaction score
That sounds odd... we do have goldfish and all other kinds of cold water fish... I actually own some.

I don't think there are any fish breeders in Tasmania, as my local pet shop has them shipped from the mainland.

I guess I could go to the pet shop and ask them to get me one...

pegasus

Reaction score
Sorry Loun, they are illegal in Tasmania, Fines of up to $10000 can apply to illegal imports, You may however be able to get a exotic wildlife license, but you will have to contact the appropriate channels.

rexx

Reaction score
Hi there! :happy:

I've been a fan of axolotls for a while... they're such amazing little creatures. For years, I've wanted one as a pet, but I thought they were illegal here - it was only recently that I discovered they weren't!

I live in Tasmania, so you can imagine how small the range of animals for sale here is. Cats, dogs, birds and basic tropical fish. That's it. Does anyone have any idea at all where I can purchase an axolotl and the tools/tank required to keep it alive?

I would even be willing to buy from interstate, if the person could guarantee the little guy wouldn't die on his way here.

Thank you for any help you can give.

I dont know if you have a better pets and gardens in tas ? But i know they sell them. Or you can try and find a pet shop in sydney that ships them - you'd be quite suprised at how many places ship fish! i was going to get a seahorse shipped from tas a few years back!

Fat Glenns Fish | Welcome

I just had a quick look at the site above, it doesn't mention anything about axolotls , but im sure you could ask him, or ask if he knows anywhere

Good luck!!

rexx

Reaction score
Sorry Loun, they are illegal in Tasmania, Fines of up to $10000 can apply to illegal imports, You may however be able to get a exotic wildlife license, but you will have to contact the appropriate channels.

Wow i just read that you wrote they are illegal. ! Maybe your best to do some research to see if you are able to get them! or ask local pet stores (if you have any near by)
That would suck if you aren't allowed them!

blackdog

Reaction score
When you think about it, it is quite reasonable for Tassie to ban them.

An axie released into the wild would probably thrive down there in the mild climate, and Tasmania is such a unique and delicate eco system , a released axie family could potentially wreak havoc on some of the locals - who knows?

I guess some areas of Victoria would suit them too, maybe some of the alpine regions elsewhere

If people could be trusted not to just dump animals when they can no longer look after them, we'd never have to worry about it - but yet again, the few spoil it for the majority

Bren

iChris

Reaction score
we have similar laws in place in WA, its illegal to bring in plants, live or dried, flowers, fruits, nuts, soil and honey.

I think the laws you're reading only apply to imports, you should be able to obtain them in your state.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!