Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Greetings and salutations

Blazed Monkey

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, figured I'd introduce myself.

I live in the Kansas City area. I don't currently have anything, but after recently going to an aquatic auction with my sister, and helping her with tank setups and building stands, I've caught the bug myself.

Sigh.

At the moment, I've got my first general setup picked out: Axolotyl, probably 4-6, in either a 40 breeder or 50gal tank (I prefer the more cubic or deeper tanks as opposed to the taller skinnier tanks). For media inside, I'm thinking a mixture of slate tile for the base, with white sand to provide a nice contrast, and then something along the back wall. Either some outcroppings about halfway up the back that sticks out and provides hiding places and light cover, or something similar.

After that, once I have time to build my knowledge and really get a feel for the aquarist craft, the long term plan is to do a very large aquarium setup in my basement. Something with a minimum of a 6' length and 24" width. I love designing projects and coming up with my own designs, so this plays perfectly into a new tank setup. The plan is to build the aquarium as the top piece of a massive desk. The tank will be supported by steel pallet racking (the kind you see in Home Depot with pallets of tile and concrete on it) so that the weight will never be an issue, and then I will build a shroud around the racking, creating a large desk with cubbies (which would be large enough to house small tanks for growing breeders, or random whatnot). That tank will be a community fish tank, housing 8"+ fish of various types (haven't decided on anything yet, but I am still a LONG way from being ready to start).

Lots and lots of reading left to do, so for now I'll just say, "Hi, thanks for having me, I can't wait to get wet!"

Last edited:

Blazed Monkey

Reaction score
here is a VERY quick general drawing of what I was thinking for the desk tank, to give you a better idea of what I had in mind.

I have never claimed to be an artist :eek:
IMG_20110301_193247.jpg

Anyway, that was my basic initial design. I'm sure it will be modified as I get closer to it, but I am still realistically at least 6 months from being ready to even CONSIDER taking on a project like that.

The desk is ideal for many reason. I spend a lot of time at my computer, so being able to just glance slightly up while I'm working would be an ideal location. Because the tank is on top, it will be visible to the entire room. The table top of the desk extends out past where the fish tank extends, so I will be able to walk along the desk top in order to service the tank without having to get out a step stool constantly.

I am thinking about doing something different with the cubbies, but haven't really decided on anything yet. I would like to increase the visibility to the room, I just haven't figure out how to tweak it yet.

All ideas are welcome.

Last edited:

mewsie

Reaction score
Haha, are those axolotls up the top? Wicked!

I'd love to have something like that! From my experience though, I spend a LOT of time with my hand/turkey baster/chopstick in the tank, and I suspect it'd drive you bonkers after a while!

I spend most of my time on a computer when I'm not out training, so I've put the axies against the wall, and I sit at a table in the middle of the room so I can watch them. Not so good with a desktop pc/mac though.

What about putting their tank to one side of you, so you can swivel to face you, and they can stare at you wanting worms all day?

Welcome to the forum btw! Looking forward to seeing some axie pics soon ;)

Blazed Monkey

Reaction score
That drawing is my general concept for my long term project: a desk I will be building in my basement. That will be a 175+ gallon tank that will have a variety of 8"+ fish. It will have to be in the basement because that is on my foundation, so I won't have to worry about the 1800+ lbs. that a 175+gal tank will create.

The axolotl will be upstairs in my bedroom, in a 40 breeder or 50 gallon. I will build some kind of stand for that once I have acquired a tank. I like to build and design small woodworking projects, so I get to integrate one of my favorite hobbies with one of my new hobbies!

Here is a picture of a basic double stand I built for my sister a few days ago out of scrap wood, hence, didn't spend a dime out of pocket. She came up with the basic design, then I tweaked it a little for structural integrity, and did all the building:
doubletank.jpg

Slap a coat of black paint on there an you would never know it didn't come from the store :D

mewsie

Reaction score
Wow, sweet work! Thats fantastic. If you get into bespoke stands, your hobby could bring you in a $ or two!

I know that's gonna be a fish tank, but i'd like to see photos of it when its done! Epic!

Whenever you are ready and come up with any designs for your axies, I strongly suggest you post them in the tanks and setups section, there are some very experienced axie-scapers in here who can give you the best advice. If you are prepared to take this advice on board, you're gonna end up with the perfect habitat for your axies, and one stunning looking setup, by the looks of it!

Mew

Last edited:

Blazed Monkey

Reaction score
Thanks mewsie, I appreciate it. When I do get around to the fish tank desk, I'll make sure to take pictures of the entire buildup.

For now though, I will take any and all sound advice from experienced axolotl owners for sure. Right now, I'm reading as much as I can. I have been reading mostly the axolotl.org forums, and this site as well, learning about care, housing, diet, etc., as well as looking at other peoples tank designs.

I was considering a 40 breeder or 50 gal, as I prefer a shorter, wider tank. I'm was thinking 4-5 axo's in a full variety of colors. I've read differing opinions, but I believe if I've read everything correctly, that should be a large enough tank for all of them the live for their entire life cycle, yes? I don't want to crowd them once they get older.

For the tank, I was thinking of doing it a little different than anything I have seen: One half of the tank will be the darkest slate tile I can find, the other half will be fine white sand. I haven't decided if I will split the tank left/right or front/back. I'll put a nice piece of driftwood in the center which will conceal a sponge filter, and will probably do some other type of filtration as well. Along the back wall there will be a little bit of 3D-scaping, for visual appeal as well as to give them a place to hide out of the light. Maybe put a few caves in the back corners, and a nice flat spot in the front corners for feeding.

My only concern right now is the coming summer months. I was wanting to put the tank upstairs in my bedroom, however, if I do that I'm certain I will need to deal with chilling the water to keep the axo's at a happy 60-64F. I'm planning on doing plenty of more reading before I do a single piece of buying, but I would appreciate any and all advice.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1