Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just found one of my baby axolotls dead worried about other one

Jacobcameron

Reaction score
Just came in from school found one of two baby axolotls floating dead all they have been in with was some daphnia and water was changed regulary and everything any ideas :(?

memojo1979

Reaction score
No idea - I'm not that experienced, but from the other threads, I can give you a head-start on the best stuff you can post here, so the others might have a bit more of a clue.
Do you do regular tests + if so, how are the water perameters? Do you monitor temperature + if so, has that been fluctuating + what temp. is it at? What substrate do you use, if any (you said all they've been in with is some daphnia, but I wasn't sure if you meant completely bare tank, or other living creatures) + what decor do you have, if any?
How long have you had them?
Do you add dechlorinator to the water when you do water changes + how much water do you change at aa time + how often?

Do you have any photos you can add of the set up + as harsh as it may seem, the little guy who has passed on?

Although it's a lot to ask, the more information you can give, the better the experienced members here can answer you :happy:

Sorry for your loss too :(

smily sam

Reaction score
if they are recently hatched axolotl lavae then sometimes they don't all survive:( for a number of reasons, genetic problems, canabulism ect.
If they are juvaniles then allthe stuff mojo said applys.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1