Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axi looking sick... help me

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I want some advice. I just got home a half hour ago and my little axi Lotly appeared almost as if he was dead. I freaked out but he just moved so I am slightly happier now. His gills are looking a little pale though, but I see no fungus of any kind on them. I tested the water this morning and all the parameters are good, ammonia at .25 no nitrates or nitrites and pH 7.2. Any thoughts on why he looked ill?

Also he's been air gulping a fair bit in the past few days

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
What is your temperature? Ammonia at .25 is actually not a good thing. It sounds lke your tank hasn't cycled(otherwise you would have a nitrate reading)? Perhaps that is bothering him, which would be even more likely if the temperature is on the higher side.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Temperature is at 17 celcius which should be fine. It is a new tank so maybe it isn't fully cycled just yet. I did a water change this morning. Is it possible that he was sleeping? He is now flicking his gills a fair bit

carsona246

Reaction score
I mean axolotl's get pale when they sleep, so maybe yours was just pale, but as animallover said, having .25 ammonia is a sign that your tank isn't cycled, which you already know. Just keep up the waterchanges until you switch the filter media, and you start getting nitrates, and no nitrites. I'd keep a close eye on him and make sure he isn't actually sick, but .25 ppm's of ammonia(if we're talking about NH3+NH4) isn't in the deadly zone.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Hey Carson... thanks again for you help. Just switched the media and am doing partial water change.

I figured out the neatest way to do it. I have two siphons. Once I've got the old water out with the first siphon I get the second one and siphon clean de-chlorinated water into the tank from a bucket. Its fast and easy and mess free!

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
News on Lotyl

Whilst I'm still a little concerned and will be keeping a close eye on my special boy Lotyl did just eat three slivers of yummy beef. I'm taking this as a good sign :D

So relieved

Erzs

Reaction score
I posted this in the other thread but will bring it here instead!

On whether he was just sleeping:

My axolotl Jonesy plays this super fun game called "Am I or Aren't I Dead?" He sits incredibly still for ages, goes very pale, and barely flicks his gills. The first time he did it I actually fell for it. Now I think he may just be sleeping. He's my most active at night and so during the day time he's very quiet!

As long as everything is under control and as has been said although .25 reads not cycle it's not really a danger zone I'd say he was having a snooze!

With gulping air whats the water movement like? Mine used to do it a bit but I added an air stone and now they rarely do it.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Water movement seems alright, slight ripples on the surface due to the filter but I will get and air stone too just in case

Oh dear that much be frightening with Jonesy... I fell for it too yesterday... obviously

virginia

Reaction score
Your Axie could have been sleeping. If your water parameters are right and if he's okay and acting normal several minutes after, he/she was probably asleep! haha. Their gill coloration is usually paler/duller sleeping/inactive than when they are awake and active.

Is your axie doing okay today?

virginia

Reaction score
wow weird...there was only one post when I posted that on the thread...... :/ and turns out it has already been replied -_- .... haha sorry for the double post!!

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Both threads "Axi looking sick...help me" have now been merged into this one.

wow weird...there was only one post when I posted that on the thread...... :/ and turns out it has already been replied -_- .... haha sorry for the double post!!

I was moving and merging posts, probably at the same time you were posting. Sorry for any confusion caused. ;)

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Hahaha sorry I didn't realize it had created two threads.

I am happy to report that Lotyl is doing heeps better. He's been active and his gills are nice and pink again. Plus I think they have gotten bigger!!! Yay

virginia

Reaction score
Oh haha I thought it was my eyes! lol it was 4am in the morning when I wrote that hahaha..I was like.... oh man... I gotta go to bed...

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Your Axie could have been sleeping. If your water parameters are right and if he's okay and acting normal several minutes after, he/she was probably asleep! haha. Their gill coloration is usually paler/duller sleeping/inactive than when they are awake and active.

Is your axie doing okay today?

He's doing just fine today, hopefully he has no more surprises for me :p

kmacfarlane

Reaction score
Sorry to bump a (slightly) old thread, but this happens to me all the time! I came into the room to see one of my axies pressed against the corner of the tank, and I was convinced he was dead. Came on here to do a bit of reading, then when I looked back in the tank, he was smiling up at me!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1