Illness/Sickness: My axie wont eat?

pegasus

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

My axolotl has been in the fridge the past 12 days and she hasn't eaten at all?, I read that the cold will slow down her metabolism and wont eat much, but not at all?I have tried taking her out the fridge until the water temp rises to 14 then feeding her but she is not interested, I have tried live fish, meal worms with heads removed, live blood worms, beef liver and lean steak? (on dif occasions)

She is in the fridge on advice from both here and my local reptile vet, as her water temp rose dramatically in the tank and ammonia levels went through the roof, but not eating is worrying me, if she doesn't eat by Wednesday i will be taking her to the vet, any help suggestions please?

Last edited:
Hi all,

My axolotl has been in the fridge the past 12 days and she hasn't eaten at all?, I read that the cold will slow down her metabolism and wont eat much, but not at all?I have tried taking her out the fridge until the water temp rises to 14 then feeding her but she is not interested, I have tried live fish, meal worms with heads removed, live blood worms, beef liver and lean steak? (on dif occasions)

She is in the fridge on advice from both here and my local reptile vet, as her water temp rose dramatically in the tank and ammonia levels went through the roof, but not eating is worrying me, if she doesn't eat by Wednesday i will be taking her to the vet, any help suggestions please?

HI there,

Ok dont panic if she is not eating in the fridge a lot of axies dont as yes the cold water slows their metabolism right down, also it will not help your axie by taking her out of the fridge to warm her up a bit to put her back in thr fridge again that will just stress her out, sorry.

Have you tried just good old earthworms?? When mine are fridged I always put a worm in with them and leave it there for a few hours and 9/10 it is gone but then maybe my axies are an exception to the rule. Axies can go weeks without eating so try not to worry too much.

What has your vet said about your axies mouth??

Thanks Zoe, but i cannot seam to source earthworms atm without buying a worm farm, and the farms come with eggs or something not fully grown worms, In regards to tequilas mouth/throat the vet said it may be cardiac stress or even failure, caused by high temps, the blood thickening hence the inflammation, and to keep her in the fridge and contact him if it hasn't changed next week. She is looking better thou, am I'm hoping if she starts eating she will be OK,

Pegasus

Thanks Zoe, but i cannot seam to source earthworms atm without buying a worm farm, and the farms come with eggs or something not fully grown worms, In regards to tequilas mouth/throat the vet said it may be cardiac stress or even failure, caused by high temps, the blood thickening hence the inflammation, and to keep her in the fridge and contact him if it hasn't changed next week. She is looking better thou, am I'm hoping if she starts eating she will be OK,

Pegasus

Sorry to hear that presume you have tried digging for some? Have you looked at ebay or any reptile shops online to source some??

In regards to a worm farm these can be so cheap mine was free. I keep my worms in a plastic container with just earth/mud in it and some damp cardboard on top with some dried old leaves and underneath i put veg/fruit scraps etc which the worms eat and I stir the soil every week and thats it easy as :happy:

really sorry to hear of all your problems will keep fingers crossed for you. Zoe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back