Fire Salamander - jelly in water - help please

esoteric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Ron
Hi, I have a gravid female at the moment and have been checking the water every day for babies, however, this morning I discovered what looked like a "string" of jelly, very much like the clear jelly that surrounds axolotl eggs. I removed it using a pipette and it was between 4" and 5" long. I'm worried that she may have delivered some babies on land, perhaps in one of her hides, and this is something like an amniotic membrane released afterwards. There's no point in photographing this jelly - just think egg white.
Anyone seen this before?

Have a close look at the jelly... could it be a shed skin? If you float it in water maybe you'll see feet shapes?

Oh wow .... absolutely spot on Julia, thank you.

As soon as I floated it I had a perfect little body stocking - it was the feet that gave it away.

I trust this is normal?... I reckon to have read up on fire salamanders but I had absolutely no idea they shed.

Once again, thanks for your help.

They do shed, though I haven't seem my Fire salamander do it.:D My Marms shed every now and then and they leave these little skins for me to find.

"Ghost newts" and such.

Usually salamanders will eat their shed. Why waste the calories? But sometimes they leave them behind for us to find. I love seeing their little feet!

Even though the skin is clear, the pattern of the little black toes and the very faint markings down the back shows it belonged to Nellymander. It's so cool how it looks complete except the round hole where the head should be, just like a lil' see through babygrow - but for salamanders like.

sallysuit.jpg

I'm off to google why salamanders shed - feel free to educate me though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back