Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cat jumped into the axie tank

bumble

Reaction score
About 1 month ago I was cleaning out the tank and my cat and dog decided to play a game of chasey and out of no where the cat did this huge jump in the air and landed right in the tank, I freaked and tried to pull her out and she freaked and messed up all the river stones.

Ok I might add that i normally clean the tank with the axies in the water, anyway one of the axies stopped eating after this but also i live in Perth WA and it has been over 35 degrees for over a month straight and the water temp is hot and has been sitting at 27 degrees for the past couple of months.

i decided that he was obviously stressed and decided to put him in the fridge in cooler water untill the end of this hot weather, on the third day i found that he had died..

Does anyone know if it was the cat or the heat that killed him or did I do the wrong thing by putting him in the fridge.

After the cat jumped into the tank i noticed an injury to his back leg (just wasnt moving it) the other axie is fine and eating normally even in this hot weather.

JK

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss.:(
It sounds like you did the right thing by putting him in the fridge, do you know what temp the fridge water was and did you regularly change the fridge water for fresh dechlorinated water?

Other than this i can't be of much help, 27 degrees would of been too hot but in the cooler fridge i doubt the heat killed him, it could of well of been the injury inflicted by the cat.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I would say the temperature would be the main cause. Temps that high can be lethal, but also how did you introduce the axie into the fridge? Was it a gradual introduction into the fridge, because if that wasn't a slow process the shock from going into the very cool water in the fridge from the outside temp could have been fatal as well.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with Eric. Sustained temperatures above 25C are often fatal, especially if it had been at this temperature for months.

Reaction score
My naughty kitten has jumped into my tank while I have the lid off for cleaning. I think it startles the cat more than the axies. I agree with the others that those sustained high temperatures were likely the culprit and maybe the cold temperatures ended up being a shock to his system.

bumble

Reaction score
Im starting to think that I shouldnt have put him in the fridge, although im not sure if he still would of died if left in the tank.

I used the tank water and then put him in the fridge, changed the water with dechlorinated fridge water every day.

Its very hard to get the tank temperature down, i have used big blocks of ice and the tank is in the coolest area in the house.

I cant use a chiller as our electricity tarrif has gone up 50% and the bill is $600 every 2 months as it is now.

My other axie seems to be doing alright and they both were fine last summer but then again this is our hottest summer on record.

Reaction score
How large is your tank? Are you able to put it on the floor where it can be a few degrees cooler? What about a fan blowing across the surface?

Are your ice blocks made of dechlorinated water?

Cas

Reaction score
I have a chiller, but like a heater they only turn on (ie compressor) when the temperature raises 1 degree above the set temp. Ie. Mines set at 19, it clicks on at 20 (but the thermometers in the tank always read about 18.5 go figure!)

My chiller will easily go hours before clicking on, and when on it will only be on for 15/20 mins max (thats a hot day) I don't honestly know how much electricity its going through, but I imagine with the chiller only turned on max 5-10% of the day it cant change that much. I'm sure my partner leaving lights on and fans running all day when no ones home is costing more :p

I'm sure I remember there being a website that compared, they hooked theirs up to a UPS computer system. I will try to find it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1