Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What do you guys put at the bottom of your tanks ?

rexx

Reaction score
I've recenetly cleared the bottom of my tank and currently have nothing - and wow! the amount of mess my little guys make ... (i've actually seen him poo now! they remind me of little guinea pig poos - is this normal ? lol) i know i shouldn't but ive been getting the siphon in there daily to get rid of alot of the gunk as ive found my filter isn't do much ... so ive changed filters and looks like i may need to buy a new one!

Would would you suggest be the best thing to put at the bottom of your tank ?
Im interested in something i seen in a picture someone posted ... it will like a filter pad i think? I seen them in the shop but it says you are meant to cut it to the size u want and put it in your filter ... is this ok to put at the bottom of your tank ? Or is sand the best option ?

lea

Reaction score
I use sand but you can use tiles. I love seeing the little footprints in the sand.

rexx

Reaction score
I use sand but you can use tiles. I love seeing the little footprints in the sand.

As in tiles from bunnings for example ? bathroom tiles ? How would you clean them before putting them in the tank ? i like that idea!

axigeek

Reaction score
Good to hear your axi's are doing well :D
I use sand pit sand from bunnings, about $10 per 20kg bag, which is heaps. I rinsed it twice b4 putting some in the tank and my axi loves it :wacko:

Attachments

• 20022011183.jpg
    20022011183.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,349

Colinna

Reaction score
I bought some black aquarium sand and I love the look of it. Not good if you have a black Axi though...I can never find ours!!

axigeek

Reaction score
Your pic shows that Colinna :lol: Thats why I got white sand, cause although I could've got black, I wouldnt be able to find Gem. It's hard to enough to find her as it is sometimes :p

Sand is so cheap and easy to buy, easy to clean and the axi's love it :D

rexx

Reaction score
Thank you everyone! And gem that is an extremely cute pic of your axie with the sand on his head!! Im considering going back to sand now ! i have found stuff in the aquarium shop that looks like sand but it looks almost shiny and they have black , blue and pink - would this also be considered sand ?
I still have a little interest in the tile idea if anyone could give me some info on taht? Im going to be setting up a new tank for my axie so there is so much stuff i want to do to the new tank!

Blaze

Reaction score
Bath tiles contain setting chemicals (someone correct me if i'm wrong) that leach into your water and can be very dangerous. Stick to natural slate.

As for the sand the coloured ones are going to be no good for the Axies, i'd stick with sand just from Bunnings.

NachoMom

Reaction score
I have used tiles in one of my set ups; I just went to home depot and got a set of 10 small slate tiles, untreated and unglossed (they're about 2 x 2 inches each) for under $4!!! I have also had some good luck siliconing these to the back of a tank for a "natural" stone backdrop, and this is great for providing a good surface for java moss to grow up. It creates a similar effect to old brick homes that are covered in ivy, a look I have always loved!
Tiles are really easy, y can just lay them along the bottom of the tank making sure there are no overlapping spaces that tiny creatures can get stuck in (a concern for those with shrimps and/or larvae laft in their parents tank). If you don't silicone you can lift them out of the tank every one in a while to clean any debris getting stuck in the spaces between tiles. Good luck with your project!

mewsie

Reaction score
Another sand fan here! I'm with Lea, the little footprints and tracks they leave are so sweet!

(And yes, thats a normal-sounding poop, haha! Its rare I find one these days, my two tend to trample over everything and break it up.)

rick

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I use bare bottom with a hand full of large aquarium rocks in the corner plus some PVC pipes for them to hide in, keep it simple.

rexx

Reaction score
Thanks, im keen on doing half the tank in sand and not too sure about the other half just yet!

And yes, i currently have a little pvc tube that my little guy walks in and just hangs out in sometimes! thats about the only thing left in the tank at the moment plus the live plant and filter!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1