Wikipedia article

siona

Reaction score
Country
England
I was just browsing the wikipedia article for axolotls (*cough*obsessed*cough*) and I couldn't help but notice 2 out of the 3 photos on that page are of captive axolotls on gravel. I haven't tried editing wiki pages before, but shouldn't we replace these pictures if possible with axies on more appropriate substrates? And maybe mention the dangers of gravel in the text?
I'm only thinking that it's the first place a lot of people (including myself) would go to when getting their first axie...

thoughts? comments?

I had an attempt, probably not worded in the best way so if anyone can do better feel free to get rid of it. Don't know how to edit pictures though:confused:

I've been playing around and took the gravel pictures out and put the wild-type in the info box, aha, though I'll wait for someone that actually knows what they're doing to come along!

I definitely thin that the danger of gravel should be mentioned, and also perhaps putting axolotl.org in the external links!

Last edited:
Wikipedia probably is one of the first goto sites for people interested in buying a certain animal. Good on you for spotting this and also editing it for the sake of lotl-kind!

Excellent - I just read the update (I completely forgot to check back on this thread over the weekend - sorry!)

Thanks so much for editing it JK and Lisa. The pictures are still the same but I'm guessing they need moderating before they're changed? It's definitely an improvement anyway! :D

Hey, sorry!

I think I zoomed off before I had a chance to post the change. I've posted the picture change now (took the two with gravel off, and put the wild-type in the taxobox!) and also added a link to axolotl.org in the external section. Hopefully this is all OK - there seems to be a lot of rules and regulations regarding it all!

From the look of the page and the history of the article, it seems someone REJECTED your changes a few minutes after you made them. That person seems to have restored the page to an older version as well. I wonder why :confused:?

EDIT:
The text mentions the danger of gravel, but the pics are still there.

G'ah. How annoying. I might contact the person. I just checked the messages and I haven't been told why the changes were rejected, grrr!

It makes no sense for the pictures of the 'lotls on gravel to be there when the warnings have been mentioned.

It might work better if you added a statement that has a reference. Something like
"Many people have reported gravel ingestion and sometimes digestive impaction when keeping axolotls on ordinary aquarium gravel" and include a reference to
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Ambystoma mexicanum - Axolotl
or to a specific forum thread.

Another idea is to get permission to post the X-ray photo from CC, showing the axolotl that swallowed a huge stone. I think the original owner of the photo would have to send it though.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/member...ee-full-story-its-under-large-rock-belly.html

i agree, we should add something to the Wikipedia "axolotl" web page. This site is most likely the first place some people look and/or trust for information.

I don't have a problem with "shamrock's" picture being used. I just don't know how to go about making that happen. plus, I'm super busy with working, moving house, all while being 8+ months pregnant. So Jennewt, if you would like to take the reins on this one and tell me how i can help get the picture up for you, i have not a problem doing so.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back