Question: Evaporating Water

Jordanjm

Reaction score
Country
United States
The water dish in my Tiger Salamander's enclosure evaporates out within the hour of being put in the enclosure. Has anyone solved this type of problem before? I live in Utah so the air is fairly dry. I tried a device to constantly drip water into the bowl, but it flooded the whole enclosure, and I had to clean it out early.

How large / deep is the dish? What is it made of? Maybe it's porous, leaking?
How warm is the room you keep the set-up?

I live in a dry climate too, but my water dishes don't evaporate that quickly. What is the dish made of, and what shape is it? Are there any plants, strands or substrate near the water itself? I'm thinking along the same lines as Francois - it's soaking in, or wicking out.

The water dish is made of stone, a slate I think. It is rectangular in shape with a lip for one side instead of a wall. I do not have plants in the enclosure, and I try to keep substrate away from the edge. The temp. In the enclosure average 68 degrees f, with an Average humidity in the 70% area.

The water dish is not very deep, it holds enough for Elros, my salamander to sit in the water.

It's probably splashing all the water out of the dish.

We got our dish at Petco. It looks like stone but isn't & doesn't have any sharp edges that could cut Rex's skin. It has a couple little steps on one side (like a swimming pool) & holds enough water for Rex to completely submerge herself if she wants to but otherwise if she is standing, her head is above the water so it isn't too deep. It is pretty dry here in Idaho but we don't have too much trouble with evaporation. However, her water is changed so often it isn't an issue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back