High ammonia but no Nitrates/Nitrites

seminormal

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi, I started cycling my tank 2 weeks ago by leaving some food in the tank. At one week my Ammonia levels a hit .5ppm and Nitrate/nitrite were both at 0. I drop another bit of food in and now at 2 weeks my ammonia is at 2ppm but I still have no sign of Nitrite or Nitrate.

Is this normal?

Is there anything I can do to speed up the process generating the initial bacterial to get the cycle moving?

Cheers in advance :)

I will repeat some advice that was given to me. Hope it all helps.

What you're looking for are the 3 Phases of cycling to run their course.

Phase 1 ~ The Ammonia eaters move in and multiply
What your tests will show;
Ammonia ~ Rises steadily to a peak before starting to drop back down.
Nitrite ~ will be 0 or at least remain steady and will begin to rise as the ammonia levels drop
Nitrate ~ will be 0 or at least remain steady with no real increase or decrease except after water changes.
You may find you tank goes a little cloudy for a couple of days during this phase, don't worry about it, it's completely normal and will clear on it's own

Phase 2 ~ The Nitrite eaters move in and multiply
Ammonia ~ Will continue to drop and will then remain at zero
Nitrite ~ Will continue to rise to a peak before starting to drop back down to zero
Nitrate ~ will be 0 or at least remain steady until the Nitrite begins to drop at which point it will begin to rise.

Phase 3 ~ A fully cycled tank
Ammonia ~ 0
Nitrite ~ 0
Nitrate ~ rising slowly

NOTE: if at any time while cycling you get ANY of the following readings do a 20% water change to bring the numbers down!
Ammonia ~ 0.8 or higher
Nitrite ~ 0.5 or higher
Nitrate ~ 40 or higher

(Thanx to
MereB for the advice above)

What kind of test kit are you using? Also, what kind of dechlorinator?

test kits are aquarium pharmaceuticals brand and i bought them within the last couple of months

dechlorinator is aqua one water conditioner

Thanks Gemsowner, the Ammonia is high so I might do a 20% water change tonight and try to get it back down.

Np, but the thanx goes to fellow aussie MereB, who gave me the advice when I was kinda in your situation. Good luck with the ammonia, even I still struggle to keep it down to 0 ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back