Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello! (axolotl newbie)

Hayley

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Hayley, I'm 21 from Northamptonshire, England.

I have recently purchased my first Axolotl, a three month old albino called Oscar. The tank is 75l but only about two thirds full. There isn't really much of anything in the tank at the moment. I had the tank set up for about 4 weeks prior to getting Oscar and during that time the plants I had died so I got rid of them. Can anyone suggest any plants that will keep well without much light? I understand axolotls aren't big fans of bright lights!!

We're having some trouble getting Oscar to eat. According to the breeder, he was eating well on bloodworms so we decided to keep on with them. First feed we just tipped a few in the general area of the tank where he was but he didn't even attemp to eat so since then we have been lowering a jar of bloodworms into the tank for him to go into a feed from. This is proving more successful but we have to put him into the jars ourselves (encouragement using a net!!) as he doesn't seem to find his way in there by himself. He gets out ok though :)

As I'm new to keeping Axolotls, I would really appriciate any helps or tips on keeping Oscar happy and healthy :).

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
First off, welcome to the forum Hayley.

A few low light plants to look out for would be elodea (also sold under anacharis), java moss, or java fern.

Have you tried feeding your axolotl right before you turn out the lights? They are nocturnal by nature and would be more inclined to eat at this time.

mewsie

Reaction score
Welcome to the form Hayley, and congratulations on getting Oscar!

I'm with Justin on the plants & feeding time - mid-evening is the time I find them all at the front of the tank using their best telepathy skills to convey the word 'WORM' to me. So try feeding him at night if you aren't already.

Also, how big is Oscar? Bloodworm are good, but they lack calcium, which Oscar needs, so the best thing for axies is earthworm. Plus - the wriggling tends to get them quite fired up for dinner.

You can dig them up, but beware pesticides and general nasties, I buy mine from a local bait store, as I've not got a wormery sorted yet. Mine eat worms as long as 3/4 their length surprisingly easily, but you could chop them if necessary! A worm a few times a week is about all my lot need to keep their tummies as wide as their head - which is the general rule for if they are eating enough!

Oooh, and get some piccies of Oscar up for us all to see!

x

Hayley

Reaction score
Oscar is only about an inch and a half long at the moment so I don't think he will manage earthworms yet. I'm reluctant to dig them up myself for risk of disease so I'm keeping an eye out for anywhere I can buy/order one from.

I will give feeding him later in the day a try then. At the moment I have been feeding him when I get home from work (6pm) so thats probably still a little early for him.

Thanks for the tips :) i will be off to the aquatics shop tomorrow to get him some plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1