Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus, or what else?

Zalth

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm a bit concerned about my golden albino axolotl, because the tips of his gills are going pale white. Just the tips of the feathery things!
I've also been noticing him not moving that much lately, but he started moving quite alot last night, and also this morning. And he's eating okay, I'm just worried about his gills.
I don't know if this could be fungus, cause it's not cotton wooly.
But what else could it be, and how could I treat it? Is it even dangerous?

He's got a friend in the same tank, a wild type. I'm not noticing any changes on this ones gills, but I've also heard albinos are more sensitive to water contitions. I don't have any water testers, but I'm going to the store to get them today. I'm not really sure I can afford liquid tests at the moment, but should the paper ones be okay until I can? Because I've heard they are not that reliable...

Thanks for your time, really! :happy:

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
If it's just the gill tips changing color then more than likely this is just a normal blood circulation thing. That fact that he's been rather lethargic leads me to believe this is the case. Watch him next time he moves around alot or feeds and you'll probably notice that they flush red because of the increased blood flow.

Zalth

Reaction score
zalth.jpg

Here's a pic of it too!

At moment the temp is at 20 degrees Celsius (68F), but it can get up to 23 at times. Not above, tho!

Zalth

Reaction score
If it's just the gill tips changing color then more than likely this is just a normal blood circulation thing. That fact that he's been rather lethargic leads me to believe this is the case. Watch him next time he moves around alot or feeds and you'll probably notice that they flush red because of the increased blood flow.

It doesn't disappear when the blood circulation goes up, tho. :( (as in the picture)

Zalth

Reaction score
So.. It's normal for the tips of the gills to get white? Alright then, thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1