Question: Bubble blower

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hi there im only new but my question is are axolotls serposed to blow bubbles.Iits not all the time but every so often it will let do a cuple of small bubbles out.:happy:

also ive never seen my axie do a poo is this normal. would my filter system pick it up quit quickley or somthing. and my axie some times sucks up some of the pebbles when he is feeding and spits at least one or two back out. how would i know if hes swollowed any?

Last edited:
Axolotls do possess rudimentary lungs. If you see it 'gulping' at the surface, it's using its lungs.

Poop breaks down quickly into 'poo dust'. It will disintegrate and sift down through your gravel.

Which leads us to: TAKE OUT YOUR GRAVEL IMMEDIATELY!! Gravel is often deadly dangerous for axolotls, as they can swallow it. This can cause intestinal impaction, which can be deadly. Sand is a much more appropriate substrate for axolotls.

I agree - any stones or gravel that the animal can get it its mouth are a threat. Do a search of this forum for "gravel impaction" to read more.

thankyou both will take the gravel out asap.!! also how do i know if mmy axie has an impaction?

thankyou both will take the gravel out asap.!! also how do i know if mmy axie has an impaction?

Well hopefully your axie is still eating?? Also you can normally see the gravel in your axie as it gives it a lumpy/bumpy appearence.

It may be worth fridging your axie if he hasn't pooed for a while which will help your axie to pass any gravel it has in it's system BUT it can take months for it all to come out so be warned you could be finding bits of gravel for a while to come.

Good luck

Well hopefully your axie is still eating?? Also you can normally see the gravel in your axie as it gives it a lumpy/bumpy appearence.

my axie is still eating normallyand acting the same as when i got him. ive had him just over a month and ive never seen him poo. i used to have the same rock in the tank as the aquarium had. but once i found out it was bad for him ive taken the rocks out. will be getting sand for him tomorrow. the only bumps i can see is the ones in the middle of his body which look like the ribs out line:D

thanks again

Those aren't ribs, but are called costal ridges. I think axolotl ribs are pretty short, and don't extend past the back (but don't quote me on that). Just a bit of trivia to impress your friends, if your friends are any bit as nerdy as mine. lol.

As for impaction, try keeping him on a bare bottom tank for a bit. You'll be able to monitor any ins and outs. What kind of food are you feeding?

kaysie thankyou for your advice. i used to feed him live brian shrimp. went to the petshop for some more food and the guy at the shop said they lovefrozen turtel food. so he gave me some. he seems to like it but not sure if it is ok for him to eat it. have tried frozen brian shrimp but as soon as it goes in the water it disintergrate. what should i feed him.

also how big is there poo surposed to be cause he did one last night that was quite large and was just staying at the bottom of the tank. untill i removed it.

Last edited:
Earthworms provide one of the most nutritionally complete foods. Definitely try to make them a staple. Some carnivore pellets are appropriate as food. Just keep in mind axolotls don't eat plant matter.

As for poop: it's surprisingly large. I say relative to body size, it would be like me pooping out a watermelon. Ouch!!

so can i get some earthworms from a petshop

Most pet shops will carry them. If they don't, look for a bait shop, or dig some of your own from a chemical-free area. Pesticides and fertilizers can poison your axolotl.

Another popular method of getting worms is starting your own worm farm! It's very eco-friendly, and supplies you with all the worms your slimy little friend could eat.

Also what would be a good temprature for my axie. at the moment it is at 23 degrees c.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back