Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from the big novices in our house!

Baff family

Reaction score
We are hoping we don't kill our new baby axolotl. Trying to do everything we are supposed to but I hear so many conflicting stories. Right now we are worried the filter is too strong and blasting water too strong for our baby Rex. Who knows?

RobM

Reaction score
Hi Baff family,
Welcome to the forum, I suggest you head over to http://axolotl.org and read the amazing information they have over there. You will find out nearly everything you need to know about keeping Axolotls.
For the filter, have you considered using a spray bar? it spreads the spray of water out, also aiming the filter output at the side of the aquarium can help too, or putting foam in the input/output to reduce the flow.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
And whatever you do, take any advice a pet shop gives you with a grain of salt.

The advice here is much better, but I may be biased. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1