New Stand and position

Colinna

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Everyone,

After struggling with the temperature of the tank, I've moved the tank from the wall at the front of the house to an internal wall. I'm hoping this move will help keep the temp down.

I've also gotten rid of the old rotting stand and hood. I purchased a raw pine stand and have stained and varnished it to match the rest of the furniture.

Here is a before pic of the old stand/hood:

Oldstand.jpg

New stand and position:

NewStand13-03-11.jpg

Because of the new stand I'm now confident enough to fill the tank to the top. I've also bought a cannister filter to do the tank. Once the new cannister is cycled I'll remove the little internal filter.

I love the way it looks. It now blends in with the rest of the furniture and it also seems to open up the room now that I've shuffled the furniture around. LOL!! I'll just have to neaten up the power cords etc on the stand.

Here is a pic of Dino Legs. She's chasing some blood worm I dropped in. Her gills are starting to slowly get longer, they were little stubs when I got her.

Dinolegs13-03-11.jpg

I noticed after we moved the tank and reset it up that she is missing the very tip of her tail. Not sure how (or when) it happened but I'm assuming it'll grow back with good water and a little TLC??

ETA - Both Axi's are loving the earthworms and I now have a steady supply after starting up my own worm farm. I also caught a heap of wild shrimp at my friends farm and the Axi's gobbled them all up overnight!! Eek!! I even found Dinolegs (above) clinging to the moss ball to chase/eat a shrimp earlier today. LOL!!

Thanks for looking!

looking good.

you're right, that older cabinet looked like it was at the end of its useful life, and by not using a hood you'll find your tank will be cooler.

Thanks guys!

The old stand and hood was all warped and and the black coating was splitting. It really did look horrible. Mind you, it'd be over 10 years old and I bought it 2nd hand.

Wow! Now that's one very admirable tank set up! I just got a 4ft tank myself and was looking for inspiration and I found your pics and thread. I hope I can make my tank look as nice as yours! What do you have on the top of your new tank?

That's a sharp stand! I built some once out of some reclaimed lumber, and painted them white. Might as well have polished a turd. They looked terrible. Worked great though.

Your tank is great. Now that I'm down to just one axolotl, I think I'm going to invest in some live plants. My old axolotls LOVED to tear them up.

Very nice Colinna! Dino Legs' gills are starting to look great, she's obviously getting lots of TLC. I bet both your axie's will thrive in their new abode.

Thanks everyone!!

What do you have on the top of your new tank?

The silver thing is a light. Just a single tube. The stuff behind the light is all the food etc, I've been too lazy to put it all away. LOL!! They are just sitting on the glass lids.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back