Is it true?

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Is it true that axi's will find bloodworms if you just dump them into the water? Mine seems to have no inclination to search for food. Unless I feed him by hand he seems uninterested in eating.

I just switched him to bloodworms after he refused to eat his regular food (beef). He's eating them but doesn't seem enthusiastic like he used to be about feeding time. His belly is quite large though... he could just be full right? I wanted normal earthworms but its too dry to find them in the garden.

mine will walk around and if he runs into them he'll eat them

Ok cool, good to know. I guess for now I'll sick to hand feeding but the ones which float away I'll leave for a while and see if he cleans them up himself.

My Axolotl only eats by hand, too lazy for anything else :) I feed him pellets and he is happy and healthy.

mine would never find any food that wasn't dangling in front of their faces! Although it looks like they're trying, occaisionally eating sand >_>

I place bloodworms in 1 spot in my tank...as the scent spreads through the water they definitely know where to go.

My 2 goldens were never interested in hand-feeding, so I've always just dropped their food in for them, although with earthworms I use either a plastic pair of tweezers, or the trusty turkey baster, to hold the worm in front of each of them at their turn - so I can see who's eating what. If I give them pellets or frozen bloodworm, then it just gets dumped in + I can see them snuffling around for it when they catch the scent. I always feed them at the front of the tank for these foods though, so it's a bit easier to tidy ;)

Certainly when I used to feed them bloodworms, they'd get excited by the scent and go on a mission to snuffle out every last one.

Hand feeding earthworms is way more fun though (unless you get a worm that does that curling up fast squiggly thing - ARGH *shudders*).

I'm going to try the turkey baster idea... hope it goes well

I'm going to try the turkey baster idea... hope it goes well

The only problem I've encountered with using it for earthworms is when the worm unhelpfully decides to have both ends sticking out + kind of gets wedged - try to have the worm going along the length of the baster, rather than all in the end, else your axie gets a blast in the face too :eek:

Good luck Boo with your new feeding techniques, I have one who prefers to be hand fed and one who'll eat out of his feeding jar... he'll actually go back after he's cleaned it out to see if there's more goodies "magically" placed in there.. LOL

Not sure if my baby will go for the baster as a feeding utensil... but on the plus side it makes cleaning up poop super easy

Mine go on a feeding frenzy (there are six of them) when i put a cube of frosen bloodworms in the tank. I get a bit worried they might hurt each other sometimes it is so violent. My axies are usually fed live waterbugs or freshwater shrimp so they are very active at hunting food down,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back