Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to Axolotls and have a few gill questions

Duhend

Reaction score
I'm new to the world of Axolotls, I've wanted one for years since I got my first Tiger Salamander, and I have a question.

I've poured over the threads and forums for loads of great info, but one I'm still unsure on is gills, look, position, ect. I know they are supposed to be in a low current filtration and their gills reflect if they are unhappy by showing them being pushed forward. My question is how far is too far forward, the sister website to this one showed a good picture, but as I look at other pictures the gills seem to be in a similar position. My little guy is swimming about, I have the filtration cut down, but his gills seem to still be standing straight up, is this normal and I'm being paranoid?
I've not seen them any farther forward, but as a new owner I am curious. There is a kink in the tail as well, which I also know can be a sign of stress, but its not at the end, its farther toward the body than I have seen in images. All the water numbers are good and he/she is eating heartily but I worry as any new owner does. I've had him/her less than a week so I'm sure there is still adjustment time involved. Queso (its name) seems to be in good spirits, spending part of the time lounging on the bottom and swimming around.

I thank anyone and everyone for the feedback, I am sneaking away from midterm studies to wander around the site some more.

lea

Reaction score
That is a cute axie. One of my axie's gills goes forward when he is in hunting mode and seeing there is a worm hanging out of your babies mouth Im guessing it is feeding time.
Can you check your water parameters? You will need to keep an eye on your water.

lea

Reaction score
No he isnt weird just loveable......He is in hunt mode:lick:......

mewsie

Reaction score
Juveniles quite often have their gills pointed forward, this may change as he/she gets older, and folks say they point them forward in hunt mode (although I've never seen this with mine).

One of my axies, Roscoe, has very, very forward pointed gills, they curl right round, they've always been like that since he was a juvie, and don't seem to be changing now he's an adult.

So if everything else is ok, his very tip of his tail looks ok, he's eating, pooping and looking otherwise as normal as possible for an axolotl ;) then I wouldn't worry! Just keep an eye out for anything that changes :)

Oh.. And HOW cute is that little guy?!

Duhend

Reaction score
Well as of this morning his/her gills are farther back now. Just eating I suppose as you all pointed out. Thanks for the info and the help these guys are pure entertainment

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
When they're young, they'll vary a LOT! Just wait until s/he's sleeping and super-pale. Gives you a fright!

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
When they're young, they'll vary a LOT! Just wait until s/he's sleeping and super-pale. Gives you a fright!
My axi did this a week ago... freaked the hell out of me!!! I thought he was dead :errr:

Duhend

Reaction score
Oh well thanks for that.....now I'm going to be glued to the tank...

He has a new friend in the tank now, the air stone. He has been very leary of it. He would eat a blood worm then walk over and stare at it.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Have fun!

My guy sometimes rests his head on the air stone... its cute!

Duhend

Reaction score
He/she is sitting about 6 inches away from just sitting there, I'm assuming allowing the current to pass throught the gills.

bayhicoach

Reaction score
Paranoid? Perhaps. But I would suggest that you're in the "get acquainted" mode. As you become familiar with your new pet you will discover what is normal behavior and what is "right." He looks bright, alert and fine from this picture and why would you assume anything else if you're provided him with appropriate living conditions and food. Have fun and enjoy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1