Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Please please help, what are these?

mexicola

Reaction score
Hi, I have already explained my situation in the post "my little one won't eat, but will poop". Anyway, things have got better on one side (Ha Ha is more active, his skin looks good, today he ate ONE blood worm - the first one in two weeks, and he pooped),but on the other, he has these two things, I don't even know how to describe them, at the corners of his mouth, see pictures attached. What are they? They look like deep wounds and you can see what I think are his jaw bones. We are terrified!
We clean his water constantly, change it completely every day, keep him in the dark and the water is cold.
What can we do? Has anyone ever seen something like this before?
When he ate the bloodworm today it was so painful to see him struggle to swallow it, but in the end he made it, although you could tell he was in so much pain. But he must eat, he's so weak!
Please help us, we're clueless as to what to do now, we're afraid everything we do might hurt him.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Foto0029.jpg
    Foto0029.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Foto0030.jpg
    Foto0030.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 181

carsona246

Reaction score
looks like he scraped his chin on something pretty badly. Do you have anything in your tank that has sharp edges? It's hard to tell for sure, but your axie looks big enough to eat earthworms. Those would definatly fatten him up more, and he'd probably prefer live earthworms to frozen bloodworms

mexicola

Reaction score
no, we don't have ANYTHING in the tank except for a mug in the shape of a pirate skull he sometimes uses as his "house" and a few (like 2) fake plants, but they're soft. He has been having trouble swallowing for a long while, we took him to the vet and he prescribed him an antibiotic but Ha Ha's reaction was really bad so we stopped giving it to him. And then we noticed these two wounds. I think they came from the inside out, and not the other way around. Like it was an infection in his mouth that then spread to the skin and bone. Any clue as to what it might be?
Thank you.

Reaction score
Did the vet grasp his jaw to open it and look into his mouth? Even though the vet wasn't the best, you may have to take him back and ask him to prescribe something else. Like I said, most antibiotics for amphibians are injected and some are taken orally. With the open sores, I don't think anything should be put on him, especially not with his reaction to the previous type. This article specifically identifies a few antibiotics that are safe for them and how to inject them - Axolotls - Health & Diseases Poor HaHa just can't catch a break.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, poor HaHa really needs to see a vet again. I am sure this will not be something that you can treat your self.

mexicola

Reaction score
The water's fine, we had moved him from his tank into a smaller container, as animalslover suggested, when he first got back from the vet and he improved a little. I agree, the wounds could be caused by the vet keeping his mouth open to inspect it.

We'll take him back to the vet, and we'll let you know. Thank you for your advice. It's so painful to see him like this!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1