Winter!

Heather at HMSG

Reaction score
Country
England
Last November I separated my golden juveniles into sized pairs in tubs, & put them outside my kitchen window. The wild types were housed in one large glass tank next to the same wall. (I live in a very small cottage!)

Unfortunately, the weather here in GB went very cold very suddenly.

I was fairly sure that the axies would be fine so long as not frozen solid, & didn't worry when a light surface icing occured . However, when the weather deteriorated drastically, all I could reasonable do was cover everything with blankets & polystyrene & a sheet to protect.

The weather then got even colder - we had down to minus 15 (degC)....I added a single 60W heat light under my set up which kept the axies ice free (albeit in the dark for some time!), & they all came through safely & well, although spending several weeks pretty darned cold!

These wonderful creatures are tough cookies!

Anyone else have similar experience?

In the last few days my lane has been teaming with male toads waiting for females to pass by enroute to the ponds - so the weather hasn't touched them either, despite the prolonger big-freeze. More tough cookies.........

Heather

I accidentally kept a single larva out side one rather cold winter...but not as cold as where you are. However the glass tank was on a bench and completely un-protected . It did freeze at various times and at that point my only concern was that the glass would brake, I hadn't known about the larva. I discovered it a few months later while I was emptying it. Its siblings where well developed and a few inches long. She was only a centimeter or so in comparison, the cold certainly slowed down her development. She grew into a beautiful adult with no problems at all.

Wow, Julia! A bonus axolotl, what a nice surprise that must have been!

It's amazing just how hardy they are, huh? What on earth was she eating? I suppose not much, as it was so cold..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back