Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with fixing a crack in the tank

lea

Reaction score
hi everyone

I have been given a 5ft tank by my neighbour. It has a crack along the bottom, I have never repaired a tank and I have no idea what Im doing. I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out.
Do I use silicone(tank freindly of course) to cover the crack or do I replace the complete bottom panel?
thanks everyone

carsona246

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you have to replace the bottom panel. You'd also have to remove the sealing for the aquarium and reseal the tank. From what I've read it isn't too expensie to reseal if you know what you're doing. I've only read about it though, never actually tried.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
I would say replace the damaged panel. But so far s I know you could use silicon to keep the new panel in place and seal the tank.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Or... you could use the tank as a terrestrial tank!

You'll have to replace the bottom panel if you want it to hold water. The bottom panel is structural, and water's quite heavy.

lea

Reaction score
thanks carson and boo. I have read that I could just put silicone over the crack and then I have read that the whole panel should be replaced. Sounds like my hubby has a job to do over the weekend.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on what you want to use it for. For a terrarium, just silicone over the crack. If you want it to hold water, I'd throw it away and get a new one (expensive, but a lot less expensive than flooding your house!!!)

lea

Reaction score
@jennewt..I dont even know what I could use it for. My son wants a little bearded dragon would that work???
I dont think we have many choices here in Aust. Any ideas???

We know a glazier so he said he could give us the glass to replace it with.
Hubbys are handy for some things:p. I do love him with all my heart.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Using it for a bearded dragon would be ideal.

Even if obtaining the glass is easy, getting the old glass out is hard. And then you have to worry whether the end result is structurally sound enough to hold a ton of water (literally).

lea

Reaction score
What about putting another piece of glass on top of the old piece(like putting slate on the bottom)....Would that work ok???
My son will love a little dragon....I must look into enclosures.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe. But the plastic frame around the top of the tank will make it difficult (maybe impossible) to get a single piece of glass the right size INTO the bottom of the tank. Try making a piece of cardboard the right size and get it in there without bending it, and you'll see what I mean. Also, I would hesitate to say "that will work" because I don't know enough about the structural requirements. But be sure your handy hubby considers the weight: 1 kilogram per liter of water. You cannot simply consider "not leaking" the goal of the repair, you also have to consider the proper support of the weight.

Bearded dragons start out small, but do get large, so a tank that size would be good to have when that time comes.

lea

Reaction score
I must say I never even thought about how I was going to get the glass in there....It might be a realllllllly good birthday for my son later in the year;). Google here I come:D.
thanks for your help guys and girls

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!