What is that?!

Scootles

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My axie has a rather large red lump near the end of his tail that has been there for several months now (he/she is about 5 months old). It doesn't seem to be growing or bothering him. Anyone know what this is and if it is a concern??

Attachments

• HPIM1635.jpg
    HPIM1635.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 141
  • HPIM1636.jpg
    HPIM1636.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 123
I'm not entirely sure but you need to remove that gravel asap. I'm not sure if axie's get these but it looks like a blood blister to me.

It looks like, to me, that your axie got her tail stuck on the filter intake... I'm guessing you have a round hose about yaay big- same shape and size at the red spot?

It looks like a bruise from the filter suction and the blood vessels broke making this red spot.

But if it's not from that... then I have no idea! :confused:

And yes, totally agree, that gravel is DANGEROUS for axolotls- they can swallow it, get impacted and die.

How many Axolotls are in there? How large is that tank? Are there any other animals in the tank besides Axolotls?

There are 4 axies in a 40 gallon tank. There are some feeder fish "living" with them as well. I know the tank is not big enough, but only had one axie and recently inherited 3 more. We are currently tank shopping!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back