Photo: The two new additions to my menagerie

pegasus

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce my two new "babies" they were born on the 29th of January and I have had them a few weeks, they are so cute, haven't been named yet, the largest is about 1.5 inches long and his/her back legs are coming along nicely :)

Attachments

• babies 002.jpg
    babies 002.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 155
  • babies 004.jpg
    babies 004.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 142
  • babies 007.jpg
    babies 007.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 146
  • babies 010.jpg
    babies 010.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 154
Thinking one is def a melanoid will be almost black not shiny the other seams more wild type with browns and yellow/gold, but to small to tell yet, neither seam to have a shiny ring around the pupil of the eye so maybe they both melanoid?? I'm feeding them live black worms and the pictures don't show it but the "feathers" on the gills are both very red. Pics were taken last week at night so not best pics unfortunately. Ichris have you got your new tank set up? and did u read my post regarding the reptile vet at wattle grove?, tequila is on medication an still in fridge he gave her a 50% chance of living but reassured me i have done the best i can if worst comes to worst.

My new setup is coming along well, 2 weeks up and running and the ammonia has dropped to 0ppm, so perhaps I will do a water change and head to my local aquarist (Avid Aquaria) to look for another axie on the weekend.

I plan on using the old axie tank as a breeder for guppy, I have had success breeding them in the past.

unfortunately my other axie (tails) died just over 2 weeks back, and I had no idea why.

I did see your post, I will keep that in mind for future reference, I live in Challis so thats not too far away.

how is your little one going? what what was wrong with him?

tequila- i think she is a she, the hot weather to high too long caused her to stress and resulted in heart failure, and her throat region swelled, its odeama is the accumulation of fluids underneath the skin, it happens with heart failure, the blood thickens in the largest veins, u see it in humans around the legs because that where our largest veins are but in axies the larges veins are under the chin. so i have her on directics to thin the blood and make her "wee" to release the fluids, its a hard build up not good :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back